SACD hybrids bad policy from Sony/Columbia?

Just read today that the whole collection of Bob Dylan remasters that were done last year on SACD hybrid are due to be released on CD soon at a much lower price.

To me this defeat the Trojan Horse policy of sneeking SACD's into households where there is no SACD player and maybe encouraging a SACD player purchase at a later date based on the knowledge that the buyer already has SACD's in his collection.

Furthermore when future SACD hybrids come on sale perhaps buyers may now hang off to see if what happened with the Dylan releases is repeated.
Indeed those who wanted the set and are a few short and have no SACD player will be able to but 3 CD remasters for the price of 2 Hybrids.

In terms of marketing SACD I think this a major mistake.
ben_campbell
They probably didn't get the response in terms of sales that they were looking for and are now looking to recoupe their investment in remixing these discs. Rather than try to release older recordings that some folks already have duplicates of, why not just start releasing ALL of their new discs in hybrid form? That would make more sense. That way, they could gradually phase out redbook releases all-together. The people buying newer discs wouldn't have to worry about having to replace what they purchase from this point on as it would already be SACD compatible. Sean
>
Sean,
I'm not sure about the sales, Dylan has a hardcore following (I bought the lot upfront)and I think the sales from what I can gather are good probably better than expected-more than the Stones?

I would expect so-I would argue the Dylan remasters are probably the single most succesful back catalogue release.

With this in mind, the Stones are massive live which is where they make their cash today- I think it doesn't look good for this approach.

To take your other point which is a massive one to me with regards SACD-if that had happened I would be sitting with a very expensive SACD player.