Best Joni Mitchel Album

Wanted to collect a few as I seem to be into female voices lately. Was wondering what you guys thought some of her best works were? Thanks in advance.

dudeaudio
dudeaudio
Wonderful Joni Mitchell fans. But it took until the 12th post to get the real jewel of her crown: For The Roses. Thanks to Musicslug for opening the door.

Kind of agree on Court and Spark -- a bit sellout but really entertaining. Blue is in a class by itself but not at the level of For the Roses. As for Hissing of Summer Lawns -- solid but not on the top tier.

For the Roses -- contents: Neil Young angst (Blonde in the Bleachers); fame angst (Judgment of Moon and Stars; more romance angst (Woman of Heart and Mind) and some truly edgy stuff (Cold Blue Steel and Sweet Fire). I realize I'm in a minority here but the lyrics and chord work of this album are worth taking the time to really listen to.

Anway, JM2C. If you have to listen to in on digital -- find yourself an HDCD decoder and the HDCD version. Otherwise -- vinyl all the way.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

F7
Fathom7,
The "Cold Blue Steel and Sweet Fire" on Miles of Aisles is one of my favorites. "For The Roses" is like "Blue": stripped down, clean, almost forcing you to really listen to what she has to say in those lyrics of hers. Joni Mitchell is a poet for the ages...
Here, here Slipknot, Here, here.

BTW: Vocally off of the For the Roses album she poses some real interesting challenges to the crossovers in any speaker you wish to audition. There is also that wonderful potential to demonstrate what "digititis" is when components and cables reveal too much of what the digital realm hath wrought. That's why I use this album (aside from the fact that I know what it's supposed to sound like off vinyl) for all equipment auditions. When it comes off right, the experience for me is literally a "hair on the back of your neck standing" experience.

F7
#1 "Court and Spark" My German CD pressing somehow still beats my gold DCC and the HDCD versions. Maybe because it's so raw and real?!

#2 "The Hissing Of Summer Lawns" Can anyone explain why this hasn't been given THE treatment by anyone?!

#3 "For The Roses" Some of the greatest lyrics of any period.
Blue is her best. No discussion required. It can put you in a trance because it is so beautiful.

I also love Hejira. Different, but sounds great.