Underestimated, song, artist or group '' gems'' ?

In any category of music you choose ( pop, opera, jazz, rock, folk - whatever ), I would like to find out about ''hidden gems'' - artists, groups or even songs and music that are not widely known or appreciated....you could include songwriters too.

I just feel that part of the excitement of discovering new music can also include past unknown gems that would be worth listening to....

Some of my ''underestimated'' favorites :

Many Elvis Costello tunes
Leonard Cohen's songs
Symphonic ''re-arrangements'' by Leppard in baroque music
The group ''Blue Rodeo''
The group (now extinct) Soul Attorneys - incredible, worth seeking out (Sony Music)
sonicbeauty
I appreciate TWL' s mention of Urge for Going, which was just about first song I learned to play on guitar back in 1968. I was playing Tom Rush's arrangement. He was an inspired scout of great songwriting talent (Joni, Jackson Browne, James Taylor) and not a bad interpreter of the songs, either.
Joe Beck. Try his DMP recordings from Acousticsounds. You could probably get all of them for under ten bucks. Play close attention to his Back to Beck cd. Best acoustic guitar playing ever. Also try his new release Trio. Go to Joe Beck.com for a demo.

As mentioned earlier, living in Buffalo, we do get to hear the Hip quite often. Tragically Hip that is.
Eldulcesol,
That's where I "got Hip". I grew up in WNY, and still have family and friends in the Queen City and get there a lot. Got Direct TV's NFL Sunday Ticket so I can get my weekly Bills fix too.
neat thread

lots of great stuff mentioned

others
Bob Green era Fleetwood Mac
Suzanne Vega last two
Montreaux
The Flaming Lips old stuff - The Soft Bulliten
Continental Drifters - Vermillion
Costello - Imperial Bedroom
The Butts band. Robby Krieger and John Densmore(post Doors) were in this band. They only put out two albums in their history. You can get both on one cd from Amazon, it's called the "Complete recordings". This is great music. The first half is more rock/r&b, while the second half is more soul. There is a different lead singer for each half/album which may account for the somewhat different styles. The sound is decent. Victrola "Live as you Like", jazz/show tune sounds from Austin Texas. You can get this from Waterloo records. The music and sound are great. Garland Jeffreys "Ghost Writer" if you can find it, otherwise "Wild in the Streets"-Best of 1977-1983 that came out recently. The Music is great, a hodge/podge of rock, reggae, blues, and soul with Garlands commentaries on society. Also from Austin, John Dee Graham "Hooray for the Moon." You can get this from Waterloo, or maybe locally as our Best Buy has it. This is hard country music with a little mexican influence thrown in. He and his partners play some loud electric guitar and he covers and sounds something like Tom Waits. He plays all the time at the Continental club in Austin. I saw his live show and it was great! The cd doesn't do him justice compared to live. The sound is good but in your face. Greg Brown, kind of laid back folk/blues from up here in MInnesota. Everything he puts out is good such as "Further in", "Poets game." He has a new one out plus a compilation. Highly recommended for good laid back music and dynamite storytelling. Really good sounding, he's got a deep voice and nice mellow guitar.