Keith Jarrett recommendation

Let me say first that I have always been a big Keith Jarrett fan. I've been collecting and listening to his stuff since the early Charles Lloyd quartet music right up to the present. Just yesterday I bought a virgin but original promo vinyl copy of the double album Staircase whch I had never heard. I am so taken with this music I must share my enthusiasm with you all, absolutely breathtaking music. Weather or not you are familar with Jarrett's music do yourself a favor and give this all solo piano music a listen. As usual a very well recorded offering from the ECM label.Happy listening.
spindrifter
How does it compare to "La Scala"? which just happens to be my favourite of Jarrett's solo works.
Spindrifter, you may have also overlooked a title on A&M Horizon, one of my all time favorites.

The title is "Closeness Duets" and Keith is accompanied by Ornette Coleman, Alice Coltrain and Paul Motain. It is a terrific recording and an extremely quiet pressing on both of my LP copies.

I plan on following your suggestion. I am now on the lookout for "Staircase."
I am also a long time fan( i actually spent a few days w/ him in 1978)-
You probably know 'facing you' but if not it is very special and also a duo w/Jack Dejohnette from the same time (early 70's) called 'Rutya and Daitya'
I could go on for a long time.....
adam
Staircase has always been my favorite Jarrett release, although Facing You and My Song are close. It seems to me as a pianist that Jarrett visits another place than he seems to in his live gigs (ie, Koln Concert), not so much playing for the crowd (despite his vehement denials) and even his vocal histronics seem more restrained.

Side 2 (of 4), which is entitled "Hourglass" is one of my two or three favorite jazz piano works I've heard to date. Bought it on ECM vinyl when it was released way back when. Just breathtaking. Whenever I get the feeling that:

1) the piano has nothing left to yield, or
2) keyboards (ie. my Kurzweil 2600) offer much more varied timbres, or
3) I want to pick up another instrument that allows more direct contact with the music

Hourglass reminds me the piano is indeed "the entire orchestra in one instrument", as one composer once commented.

Sorry to get so worked up. Staircase/Hourglass/Sundial/Sand is a very special release indeed.
Ok, I couldn't resist. Here's the last paragraph of Rolling Stone's (!) review of Staircase:

"Jarrett reaches a peak of eloquence in the second section of "Hourglass," where a wandering nocturnal theme, two parts Fauré to one part Bill Evans, gradually kaleidoscopes into a fragile, repetitive motif, then returns to its original form like the folding and opening of a flower. This piece alone reaffirms Jarrett's position as contemporary music's foremost elegist. (RS 251)"