solid state gear- leave on?

Is it good idea to leave solid state power amps on during the day if they don't make much heat?
samuellaudio
Once i turn mine on i leave it on all day. however; i always shut it down when i go to bed or at night when we are done listening.

Chuck
I would like to "third" the recommendation to leave your solid state gear on all the time. Two of my components are by Simaudio and that is their recommendation for all their products. A Sim dealer once told me that my I-5 integrated would need 300 hours (!) on to reach its best performance and some audiophile friends have reported improving sound well beyond the 100 hour mark.

Best,
Lee
Generally speaking, it's not heat per se that hurts components, but rather the hot/cold cycles that occur when they are turned on and off. Everything expands or contracts in response to heat or cold, and the repeated expansion/contraction that occurs when components are turned on and off wears down components over time.

Thus, not only do components sound better when left on 24/7, they are much less likely to break (it's counterintuitive, but true).
Turn it off. They do make some heat, and heat is ultimately the enemy of longevity. Tubes take a long time to settle in, so keeping them on makes some sense; for SS, just turn it on a few minutes before you start listening.

Also, daytime is generally peak electricity demand, so you are contributing in your own small way to both global warming and our dependence on Middle Eastern oil. Some things are more important than audio.
Sure, I leave it on if the electricity and repair service is free. They work will as backup heater for the cold winter.