How good is my amplification? Advice please.

I need help with my system. I am pretty sure the weakest link in my system is my Pre/Power combo. I was thinking about moving to a Bryston B60 but I like having the extra power. I am thinking that in the future I would like to upgrade to a Studio 100 or a pair of Totems (Hawk or Model 1)

My Current set up is:
Rega Planet 2000 CD Player
Linn Pretek Preamplifier
Bryston 3B Amplifier
Paradigm Studio 40 v2 Speaker
DMN Reason Interconnect
Audioquest Hyperlitz Speaker cable
Monster Power HTS-2600 AC filter

The 3B is an original, but I just went back to Bryston about 1 year ago and got new everything (Caps, Output tranistors, AC filter etc.... pretty much everything but the power supplies) and I must say that it sounds pretty good.

I found the Linn on ebay and it replaced a small passive preamp I was using (the passive did not have enought inputs). I found the Linn to have excellent musicallity, very dynamic. However compared the passive it could be a little more transparent and detailed.

Which is the weaker link in my amplification? The Linn or Bryston?
I like both pieces and they work well together, but if I stay Pre/Power which one goes first? This set up is not really doing anything wrong, its sins are that of omission, but I know that there is better out there. A Bryston B60 would drive my studio 40's but what about a pair of Studio 100's or totems?

One thing I do like is that my Linn has a phono stage and I am planning to hook my record player back up soon. (I just bought a house and now have room for it). I would however also like a headphone out for my Grado 225's for those late night listening sessions. I know I can an external headphone amp, but I have just been holding off and saving the money because I thought that my next (and probably final) amp could have headphone jack.

So any opinions are welcome. Oh and yes my budget is selling what I have and adding up to $500 per upgrade. IE. sell pre amp and add $500 or if I sell both I can only add about $500.

Thanks in advance.
Nick
nickway
Hello Nickway. The speaker choice and the size of your new room should dictate your choice of amplification. More power is not always better.Case in point: The bryston 2b is far and away the best "sounding" amplifier in the entire bryston line-up if power requirements are not an issue.The amplification side of the B60 is actually the Bryston 2b.Mr Rbirke's recommendation for the b-60 with a phono stage is a sound one. Next to impossible to beat for the money. The 2b amplifier is sweet,articulate and always very engaging to listen to. Like most amplifiers,regardless of whether solid state or tube... the lower power amplifiers will generally win hands down in the sonics department. The B-60 has more than enough power[and then some] to drive the studio 100 in a typical home listening enviroment. It also comes with the best warranty and service support in the entire audio industry! Best of luck in your endevour.
Thanks Guys,

I am a very big fan of the B60. My major concern was a power issue with the 100's. I do love my 40's but it the v3 has sweeter treble and deeper bass than my 40's.

I will then move my 40's to a secondary system or rears on a HT.

Thanks
I owned a B-60P for about 2 years, then upgraded to the 3B-ST and the new BP-20P with the upgraded power supply. It also has larger input and output jacks. More detail and more power with the new set-up. Also more money! But I like the ability to switch to different preamps and power amps. Sometimes I use my tubed Conrad-Johnson PV5 preamp with the 3B-ST power amp when playing vinyl. I love Bryston's customer service department and the duribility of their products.