McIntosh MC402 and MC501

Has anyone compared the MC402 to the new MC501 mono-amps?
hassel
Hi Phillyb, your response is a complete turnaround from your opinion of Mac from just a month ago when you said mac was old school with old designs. What gives?

Perhaps next time, when we are giving opinions, all of us should qualify our opinion by saying whether or not we have actually heard a particular component or not.

Just a thought, but glad you're happy with the Mac. Mac is way under appreciated here, that is until people actually hear them!

Mike.
Mike,

I did not hear the newer designs, perhaps they just better with my current system. I still stand by what I said, be the newer designs are another story in this point in time.

I am very happy with the sound.

PhillyB
I have heard both in my home, the 501s are better, I currently have a 252, i would either get another one or get the 501s
I have auditioned the 402, 501 and tube 2102 in my house.
The mc402 is not worth looking at. The 501's are ok but for $9000 new are not worth the money in my opinion. The tube 2102 was vastly superior to both the 402 and 501 on 2 channel music. The stereophile review on the 501's compared them to being very close to the Halcro DM58. The Halcros are so superior I just dont understand how that comparison could have ever been written.
I think the 501's would be ok for home theatre but would not recommend them for 2 channel music
andy
Rumney510, I have the MC402 for quite some time now - and had the Halcros at home as well. I have listened to the MC501s as well. My experience is probably more thorough and different from yours in every point. The mc402 is not worth looking at", you write. I have found it to be oe of the best-sounding amps I ever listened too, and one of the most priceworthy. Only thing is, they take weeks to burn in properly. They sounded awful at my place for the first weeks, before they reached the level TAS described recently. "The stereophile review on the 501's compared them to being very close to the Halcro DM58. The Halcros are so superior I just dont understand how that comparison could have ever been written.", you say. I understand. Event the comparison between the MC402 and the Halcros was a close call. Yes, the Halcro was slightly better - especially when laying so loud you could tear the house down with the level. But different from the McIntoshs the Halcro is ridicously overpriced.