amp-preamp considerations.

what are technical concerns[matching]when mating.have c-j prem.140 and am lookink for pre-amp.considering pass-lab x-1 or simaudio p-5.not stuck on either.using adcom gfp-750.looking for improvment on this.also new to tubes,think i would prefer ss.this amp is like having a small heater in da house.any input appreciated.
machine
czbbcl. yes you did recommend the 17ls before.thanks again. are there any ss pre's that you would also rec.
In many cases, you will lose the tube benefits by forgoing the chance to use a tube pre.
As for heat concerns, tube preamps use small tubes and generate very little heat compared to tube power amps. Almost all have the tubes inside a chasis.
Premier 14 is older, but also nice.
If you are dead set on a solid state pre, check out the pass labs and classe. Still think this isn't the way to go.
Well, this is a unique experience for me - recommending a SS preamp, but what the hell.....If I had to buy one, and I didn't need a remote, I'd get a used Threshold FET10HL (designed by Nelson Pass, by the way when he owned Threshold). I've seen them sell on Audiogon for about $750+/- and you can't get even close to this value at that price, new or used, IMHO. By the way, what are you looking for in a preamp and whats your budget? New or used?