opinion on electronics for Vandy 2Ce Sig

I recently sold some JM Labs and a reciever to move into some Vandys and...

Early this week I auditioned the Vandersteen 2Ce Sig. They will be mine, oh yes, they WILL be mine.
Shortly after Christmas, I will purchase a pair (here on audiogon probably) I need some opinions on electronics.

Budget = ~$1500
I need a pre and amp both. I can probably go a little higher, but lower the cost, the sooner I am listening.

Volume: Once in a while, I like to listen LOUD! I suspect that 100wpc won't be enough...perhaps I am wrong. Anyway, I DON'T want to run out of headroom.

Room: Strange...living room with 20ft vaulted ceilings, very oddly shaped and also open to the rest of the condo, but three steps down (sunken).

Music: I listen to everything, but I really like the double bass of bluegrass music, Knopfler's guitar, keys and horns of Steely Dan and Alison Krauss + Union Station's beautiful harmonies. When I auditioned the Vandys, I thought that the highs needed some more extention....dare I say a little more brightness. I don't want to loose that midbass though. The audition equip. was PS Audio CDP, Anthem pre/amp combo (not sure the model).

I will almost certianly buy used here on Audiogon.

Here are some brands I am considering in no particular order, and would like comments + suggestions: NOTE: I haven't heard ANY of this stuff, and since I am going to buy used, I won't have the ability to audition before I buy...it's going to come down to performance/price.

McCormack
Conrad Johnson
Musical Fidelity
Bryston
Classe
Aragon
Ayre
Rogue Audio

I am also not allergic to tubes, but my wife says she doesn't want 'test tube experiments' in the living room. It seems any tube gear would have to have a case, much to my dismay.

Any and all opinions are welcome, but please don't suggest other speakers. I sat in the audition chair for two hours with a big smile on my face, so they are definitely it as far as speakers go.

Thanks,
Z
zstokes
McCormack would defintely light up the Vandersteens, with say a Rouge 66 pre. But I personaly would try to find a Classe 100 watt amp if there was one available. It won't be easy as I see very few pass through audiogon.

You didn't mention your source? Tubes can play loud, if you like mid-range you may consider going with a tube pre. If you talk to Richard Vandersteen, he will steer you in the direction of tubes. I remeber a conversation I was having with him in which I told him I was switching from my 60 watt tube amps ( on 3a's ) to a 200 watt SS amp. He was not in favor of the move at all. To the best of my knowledge Vandersteen tests there speakers on Quicksilver Audio amps. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

But still without spending time with your listening experience, it's hard to say from here what will work.......
I have been listening to CD through my DVD player, but I am going to purchase a dedicated CD...maybe a Rega Planet or Music Hall cd25...something decent without breaking the bank.

I want to make clear, I'm not trying to achieve Nirvana here, just good sound with a budget.

Tubes are certainly okay with me, but like I stated before, I can't go with exposed-tube amps 'cause my wife just doesn't like the look of them, and she won't be able to sonically tell the difference anyway - at least not to the effect that I can.

Keep 'em comin!

Z
On the amp end, I would definately recommend DNA 0.5. Go with one, and then go up the scale with McCormack Revisions. Then add a 2WQ, then go to a 2nd McCormack, then a second 2WQ. Consider CJ 10 for a pre, which can be had for about $600 here on the 'Gon. A Rev B mod McCormack and a CJ10 would be a little over your budget, but would be awesome.
I had Vandies with a DNA1 & CJ PV10. I will highly recommend the 2CE's with a DNA-1 but I'd skip the CJ & get an Audible Illusions pre-amp instead. This should yield a very musical system. One thing I will warn against though with the Vandies is you must be able to place properly or they will not live up to their potential. I fought with them for a year before finaly giving up for a smaller pair of monitors due to my room set up.
Kimber 8TC speaker wire is to me THE wire for Vandersteen's to fix the "behind the curtain" sound. Lifts the top while keeping the mid nice and tightnig the bottom. Just a sug.