Pass Labs ALEPH 5 vs ALEPH 2

Both the ALEPH 5 stereo and ALEPH 2 mono blocks produce 100 watts into 8ohms. Is one better than the other and why?
I am running a Camelot Uther IV dac directly to amp and to Virgo II speakers.
sgunther
jtin is correct the 5 is 60 watts or about 2db quieter in volume capability!

is the mono block a better platform? maybe...or maybe more to go wrong.

the difference between a 5 and a pair of 2's is very limited. they both have the same number of gain stages 2. the 5 to my ears is more tube like, offering a little less driver control when driven to moderate levels.

I don't know your speakers however either amp will perform well, and like horsepower the little extra the 2's give is not a bad thing.

both units consume 300w per chassis.

good luck finding your next amp
Mr. Nelson mentioned more than once publicly 2 is his favorite ! I owned 5 and own 2. IMO, 2 is better. Maybe I should try 3 since my speakers are on the sensitive side.
Save your money.If your speakers are 8ohm and ~ 90dB the aleph-3 is the one to get.
The bass is better than most (who havent heard one) think and the soundstage is huge.The inner detail and transparency is top notch.
As the reviewer from Stereophile mentioned in the review of this amp "its like listening to air"
Hi:
I am a dedicated Pass lover and have had several amps, including both the Aleph 5 and Aleph 2. Let's clear away some misconceptions.
1. The Aleph 5 has 60 watts, not 100, and a smaller power supply.
2. The Aleph 2 has 100 watts per chassis, with larger power supplies dedicated to each individual chassis.
3. Thye have the EXACT same number of gain stageds and circuit topology, possibly excepting the feedback loop--I don't know if they use the same amount of feedback, but it is low in both cases.
4. Both are wonderful sounding amplifiers, with that spooky magic that audiophiles love. The Aleph 2, however, will sail along in situations where the Aleph 5 will clip or shut down.
5. For further questions, yalk to Perter Perkins at Pass Labs. The man is a saint and quite knowledgable.

Good luck,
Jeffrey