Pass Labs ALEPH 5 vs ALEPH 2

Both the ALEPH 5 stereo and ALEPH 2 mono blocks produce 100 watts into 8ohms. Is one better than the other and why?
I am running a Camelot Uther IV dac directly to amp and to Virgo II speakers.
sgunther
I have owned both the Aleph 3 at 30 watts and the 2s. I upgraded to the 2s from the 3 mostly for more power. The power difference was not that much, a little better bass. I did actually prefer the sound of the 3 however overall. I kept the 2s since I wanted the extra power. If you can get by with 30 watts the 3 has to be one of the greatest buys in all of audio for around 900.00 used.
I've owned an Aleph 5 and found it a very pleasing amp indeed. As has been hinted at, it seemed like the power rating was a bit exagerated (to my ears it was). Still a great SS amp. I also borrowed a friends Aleph 30 and had a similar experience Ejlif in that the difference did not seem too profound and the power gain did not seem all that great. Both were great SS amps to me. The only thing is I'm not a big SS fan, and as much as they tried they did not give me what I prefered (holography, space, airiness). I went back to tubes and stayed there. To counter Ejlif's observation, one of the all time greatest buys in all audio IMO is a a pair of Quicksilver MiniMites at the same $900 as an Aleph 3 (30). I now have these in my works system where the Aleph 5 once was. For me these little tube amps give me far more satisfaction and are much more engaging than my Aleph 5 ever was. Just one more opinion to confuse things further. If I had to recommend a reasonably priced SS amp though, I'd certainly point someone to an Aleph series. No experience with the 2's but you have plenty of good info to go on above.

Good luck!

Marco
jtin is correct the 5 is 60 watts or about 2db quieter in volume capability!

is the mono block a better platform? maybe...or maybe more to go wrong.

the difference between a 5 and a pair of 2's is very limited. they both have the same number of gain stages 2. the 5 to my ears is more tube like, offering a little less driver control when driven to moderate levels.

I don't know your speakers however either amp will perform well, and like horsepower the little extra the 2's give is not a bad thing.

both units consume 300w per chassis.

good luck finding your next amp
Mr. Nelson mentioned more than once publicly 2 is his favorite ! I owned 5 and own 2. IMO, 2 is better. Maybe I should try 3 since my speakers are on the sensitive side.
Save your money.If your speakers are 8ohm and ~ 90dB the aleph-3 is the one to get.
The bass is better than most (who havent heard one) think and the soundstage is huge.The inner detail and transparency is top notch.
As the reviewer from Stereophile mentioned in the review of this amp "its like listening to air"