Capacitor log Mundorf Silver in Oil

I wished I could find a log with information on caps. I have found many saying tremendous improvement etc. but not a detailed account of what the changes have been. I have had the same speakers for many years so am very familiar with them. (25+ years) The speakers are a set of Klipsch Lascala's. They have Alnico magnets in the mids and ceramic woofers and tweeters. The front end is Linn LP12 and Linn pre amp and amp. The speaker wire is 12 gauge and new wire.

I LOVE these speakers around 1 year ago they started to sound like garbage. As many have said they are VERY sensitive to the components before them. They are also showing what I think is the effect of worn out caps.

There are many out here on these boards I know of that are using the Klipsch (heritage) with cheaper Japanese electronics because the speakers are cheap! (for what they can do) One thing I would recommend is give these speakers the best quality musical sources you can afford. There is a LOT to get out of these speakers. My other speakers are Linn speakers at around 4k new with Linn tri-wire (I think about 1k for that) and the Klipsch DESTROY them in my mind. If you like "live feel" there is nothing like them. In fact it shocks me how little speakers have improved in 30 years (or 60 years in the Khorns instance)

In fact I question Linn's theory (that they have proved many times) that the source is the most important in the Hi-Fi chain. Linn's theory is top notch source with lessor rest of gear including speakers trumps expensive speakers with lessor source. I think is right if all things are equal but Klipsch heritage are NOT equal! They make a sound and feel that most either LOVE or hate. (I am in the LOVE camp and other speakers are boring to me)

So here goes and I hope this helps guys looking at caps in the future. Keep in mind Klipsch (heritage Khorns Belle's and Lascala's especially) are likely to show the effects of crossover changes more then most.

1 The caps are 30 years old and
2 the speakers being horn driven make changes 10x times more apparent.

Someone once told me find speakers and components you like THEN start to tweak if needed. Don't tweak something you not in love with. Makes sense to me.

So sound
Record is Let it Be (Beatles)
The voices are hard almost sounds like a worn out stylus.
Treble is very hard. I Me Mine has hard sounding guitars. Symbals sound awful. Everything has a digital vs. analog comparison x50! Paul's voice not as bad as John's and George's. Voices will crack.

different lp
Trumpets sound awful. Tambourine terrible. Bass is not great seems shy (compared to normal) but the bad caps draw soooooo much attention to the broken up mid range and hard highs that are not bright if anything it seems the highs are not working up to snuff. I have went many times to speaker to make sure tweeters are even working.

All in all they sound like crap except these Klipsch have such fantastic dynamics that even when not right they are exciting!

Makes me wonder about the people who do not like them if they are hearing worn out caps and cheap electronics? Then I can see why they do not like them! If I did not know better from 25+ years of ownership that would make sense.

For the new crossover I have chosen Mundorf Silver in Oil from what I have read and can afford. I want a warm not overly detailed sound as Klipsch already has lots of detail and does not need to be "livened up" they need lush smooth sounding caps. Hope I have made the right choice?

When the crossover is in I will do a initial impression on same lp's. Right now it goes from really bad (on what may be worn vinyl) to not as bad but NOT great on great vinyl. (I know the quality of the vinyl because tested on other speakers Linn)

The new caps are Mundorf Silver in Oil and new copper foil inductors are coming. I will at the same time be rewiring the speakers to 12 guage from the lamp cord that PWK put in. PWK was a master at getting very good sound often with crap by today's standards components.

The choice of speakers would be a toss up now depending on what I am listening to. Klipsch vastly more dynamic but if the breaking up of the sound becomes to much to effect enjoyment the Linn would be a better choice on that Lp. If I could I would switch a button back and forth between speakers depending on song and how bad the break-up sound was bothering me.

volleyguy
Hi Volleyguy , My good friend who builds and sell tube amps are taking a lot about the Electrolytic Cap over the anode , and on my 6c33 amps this is 330 uF. Some one who has the same amp , are going to try some Black Gate so i'll get a comment in the near future. I once have another amp which uses the Jensen Photo Flash Caps. They are expensive but they changes everything i remember. Speed is close to everything :-)

A little off topic , did you buy the oppo , you have talked about ???
Duelunds for Sale!
If anyone here has a need for a Pair of VSF 1.75uF capacitors, or Duelund Graphite resistors in the following values resistors are also sold as a pair:
6.0 ohm
8.0 ohm
12.0 ohm

Email me- These are slightly used parts, but simply soldered for testing some parts, other than that mostly like new and ready to install with plenty of length on the leads.
Thanks
By the way I am selling them for less than half price for the most part with shipping.
Michael
No not yet on the Oppo.

Trying to find time to finish basement. Just deciding on floors and insulation. I think there might be something to the theory of wood sounding better.

One system I heard and one thing I liked from the professional installers was how he anchored the bass to the room. I am not sure if that can be done on carpet over concrete?
Hi Again

Yes there had been a little silence a while. A have dropped my squeezebox , and start to develop a better music program for my popcorn hour. This little box can do 24Bit/192Khz out like the oppo but cost under 200 $$$. Remember only the A-2xx and C-2xx would be able to be hacked properly.

Even it sound a little of topic , i think that i does CD way better than the logitech , i have a larger soundstage and when i do 24Bit , it's like almost heaven.

My Micro-Seiki RX-2000 record player are getting dusty :-)

One of my friend has his RIAA under V-Cap upgrade and i would be able to have a pre listening session in January , and indeed we will try my Telefunken ECC803-S tubes.

May you all have a merry christmas and enjoy with highend caps.