Solid state amps under 1000

I know this thread has been done. I still would like more opinions. My current line up is:

Musichall MMF-25 cd player
Musichall MMF-5 Turntable
NEC T-6 tuner
C-J pv10a preamp with phono
Hafler 9500 Transnova power amp
Spica TC-60 monitor speakers
ACI Sub-One stereo subwoofers
Audioquest Crystal/type 6 tri-wire speaker cable
Various interconnects, mostly Homegrown Audio silver

I have enjoyed the Hafler for over 8 years. At 250 watts, it is probably overkill for my Spica's however (16 X 14 ft room). I love the c-j preamp and have an itch to replace the power amp. Oldest starts college this fall and finances are tight. $1000 tops. Candidates are:

Conrad Johnson 2250 (my leading choice)
Bryston 3B-St (always recomended)
Musical Fidelity A3cr (anytime Sam Tellig likes something this much, I get nervous)
Belles 150A hot rod
McCormick DNA .5 (so many versions out there)

Criteria, a definite improvement over the Hafler or why bother. A good value at or below $1000 used. A piece that will hold its value for future resale and be reliable. Must run cool as we also have a new baby in the house. Finally, if possible, looks other than a simple black box ( see why the C-J is leading).

Thanks in advance for your interest and opinions.

Paul
pcs
I would easily recommend a Aragon 8008ST. I sold one, but they are definately one of the best in this price range. I currently have a Musical Fidelity A3CR. I think the MF is more revealing, but the Aragon has more muscle and finesse. It depends on what you feel is lacking in your system. You could probably get either used for 1K.
I used to have the Aragon 8008BB which is their top of the line model before getting my MF A3cr. The Aragon certainly had much more muscle, but paled in comparison when it came to musicality, transparency, detail and depth of image. Other than the great bass of the Aragon, the MF is really in a completely different class of amplifiers. The MF has much tighter, accurate bass, although less of it. I think if you A/Bed these amps, the MF would be by far the most musical and transparent amp around!
Thanks for all the responses. I haven't heard the Aragon 8008, but I have compared my Hafler to the older 4004. For my taste, I preferred the Hafler which had a larger soundstage and greater sense of space and air. I enjoy bass but am not a bass hound. I listen to a wide variety of music but find I tend to do my evaluations based more on acoustical, female vocals etc.
I am surprised by the the lack of comments on c-j and Bryston products. For such a great reputation, there seems to be a lot of Bryston products for sale. At this point, I am still considering the c-j 2250, Musical Fidelity, Blue Circle, and the Belles 150A Hot Rod. I saw an Odyssey amp sold yesterday for $500. I should have reacted quickly at that price to try it.

Thanks again for your input. If my buyer for the Hafler comes through, I hope to do something by the end of the month.

Paul
I think a Forte 4A would work very nicely with your Spica TC-60's. You might even be able to afford two and bi-amp. They are no longer in business, so parts and service may be an issue.
Don't forget Audio by Van Alstine...direct marketed, no dealer markups, solidly engineered.