Solid state amps under 1000

I know this thread has been done. I still would like more opinions. My current line up is:

Musichall MMF-25 cd player
Musichall MMF-5 Turntable
NEC T-6 tuner
C-J pv10a preamp with phono
Hafler 9500 Transnova power amp
Spica TC-60 monitor speakers
ACI Sub-One stereo subwoofers
Audioquest Crystal/type 6 tri-wire speaker cable
Various interconnects, mostly Homegrown Audio silver

I have enjoyed the Hafler for over 8 years. At 250 watts, it is probably overkill for my Spica's however (16 X 14 ft room). I love the c-j preamp and have an itch to replace the power amp. Oldest starts college this fall and finances are tight. $1000 tops. Candidates are:

Conrad Johnson 2250 (my leading choice)
Bryston 3B-St (always recomended)
Musical Fidelity A3cr (anytime Sam Tellig likes something this much, I get nervous)
Belles 150A hot rod
McCormick DNA .5 (so many versions out there)

Criteria, a definite improvement over the Hafler or why bother. A good value at or below $1000 used. A piece that will hold its value for future resale and be reliable. Must run cool as we also have a new baby in the house. Finally, if possible, looks other than a simple black box ( see why the C-J is leading).

Thanks in advance for your interest and opinions.

Paul
pcs

Showing 3 responses by pcs

Thanks for all the suggestions. Sugarbrie, I don't know much about Blue Circle, but I thought they were tube amps. Is this a solid state design? What is the power rating etc? Eric, I will look into both Odyssey and Norh amps. Obviously I would prefer to hear all the amps under consideration, but that is not possible. Please keep the thread going. Any C-J 2250 owners out there that have also heard the Belles and Musical Fidelity amps?

Paul
Thanks for all the responses. I haven't heard the Aragon 8008, but I have compared my Hafler to the older 4004. For my taste, I preferred the Hafler which had a larger soundstage and greater sense of space and air. I enjoy bass but am not a bass hound. I listen to a wide variety of music but find I tend to do my evaluations based more on acoustical, female vocals etc.
I am surprised by the the lack of comments on c-j and Bryston products. For such a great reputation, there seems to be a lot of Bryston products for sale. At this point, I am still considering the c-j 2250, Musical Fidelity, Blue Circle, and the Belles 150A Hot Rod. I saw an Odyssey amp sold yesterday for $500. I should have reacted quickly at that price to try it.

Thanks again for your input. If my buyer for the Hafler comes through, I hope to do something by the end of the month.

Paul
I just ordered the Musical Fidelity Acr3. I got a great deal on a demo piece. I have also been successful in selling my Hafler, so it has been a good transaction. I choose the MF because of glowing reviews, style and the demo comes with a 5 year warranty. I will let you know if a few weeks what my impressions are.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Regards,
Paul