Why do no audio enthusiasts use McIntosh?

With the exception of some of there tube gear, not many really use this stuff(or admit to it anyway), I am mainly referring to there amps. They look pleasant, they look good on paper and have the price of high end gear, but I seldom hear anyone claiming to like or one day dreaming of owning McIntosh. I have never really listened to there stuff, no good word of mouth sort of scares me away from it, the only people who like it are those who sell it, an uncanny coincidence? I don’t know. Sorry it this has been covered many times in the past, I ran a search and could not find anything.
tireguy
My personal experience has been consistent with some of the other posters - Mac gear sounds pretty good but seems a bit slow, bloated and not very resolving.

Two of my friends have solid state Mac gear. One with more recent Mac pre/power amps with B&W Nautilus speakers, and the other with Mac pre/power amps with JBL studio speakers from some years back. Over the past few years, I've listened to their systems and was never really that impressed. They have also come to listen to my system at various times - my system has changed over the years but the preamp was either a Sonic Frontiers or Jeff Rowland, while the power amp was either a Threshold SA's or Pass Labs Aleph's with B&W Matrix speakers.

What was interesting is that they consistently notice the imaging, detail, and spaciousness of the sound with the SF/Jeff Rowland and Threshold/Pass Labs. Granted the speakers, room, and setup play a major part in this, but it is interesting that they identify this sonic difference in character. And I certainly agreed with their assessment.

Not saying which sound is better or worse but to each his/her own - whether Mac or not.
Interesting. I was under the impression that audio enthusiasts do use McIntosh.
Wow I would like to consider myself an audio enthusiast. I have a Mcintosh 5100, and a Mcintosh MC275V.

In regards to the 275V I have only heard a few amps that I liked better. Both of the amps were about twice the price of the MC275V.

Interesting the first post was in 2001, and it's still going in 2010.

For the record I worked in a semiconductor manufacturing plant making wafer chips when I bought my MC275V.

So neither a doctor or lawyer, in fact I worked for whole foods when I bought the 5100.

Mark
Boy this is really a silly post..so I guess I'll throw in my 2cents too.... Some musicians use Fender Strats & Tele's (not telefunken for those not in the know), some Gibson Les Pauls or 335's. Marshall amps vs. fender amps!!Who CARES!! Listen to what you like ,buy what you like, we don't have to justify anything to anyone!! Sheeshhh!!!
There are alot of audio enthusiast that own McIntosh, but there are also alot of McIntosh owners who have never heard of Amperex or Teles (not casters)- in other words a brand of good equipment that might be owned by many who have never read TAS or heard of Audiogon - different then let's say folks that own DeHaviland SETs for example. Mac sells alot of gear to alot of types of folks, some are not audiophiles mor do they want to be, but they have some money and they want some "good" stuff and they trust the brand of their fathers. Regradless, excellent gear at the beginning, and again today (there was a dark ages IMHO).