Why do no audio enthusiasts use McIntosh?

With the exception of some of there tube gear, not many really use this stuff(or admit to it anyway), I am mainly referring to there amps. They look pleasant, they look good on paper and have the price of high end gear, but I seldom hear anyone claiming to like or one day dreaming of owning McIntosh. I have never really listened to there stuff, no good word of mouth sort of scares me away from it, the only people who like it are those who sell it, an uncanny coincidence? I don’t know. Sorry it this has been covered many times in the past, I ran a search and could not find anything.
tireguy
Wow I would like to consider myself an audio enthusiast. I have a Mcintosh 5100, and a Mcintosh MC275V.

In regards to the 275V I have only heard a few amps that I liked better. Both of the amps were about twice the price of the MC275V.

Interesting the first post was in 2001, and it's still going in 2010.

For the record I worked in a semiconductor manufacturing plant making wafer chips when I bought my MC275V.

So neither a doctor or lawyer, in fact I worked for whole foods when I bought the 5100.

Mark
Boy this is really a silly post..so I guess I'll throw in my 2cents too.... Some musicians use Fender Strats & Tele's (not telefunken for those not in the know), some Gibson Les Pauls or 335's. Marshall amps vs. fender amps!!Who CARES!! Listen to what you like ,buy what you like, we don't have to justify anything to anyone!! Sheeshhh!!!
There are alot of audio enthusiast that own McIntosh, but there are also alot of McIntosh owners who have never heard of Amperex or Teles (not casters)- in other words a brand of good equipment that might be owned by many who have never read TAS or heard of Audiogon - different then let's say folks that own DeHaviland SETs for example. Mac sells alot of gear to alot of types of folks, some are not audiophiles mor do they want to be, but they have some money and they want some "good" stuff and they trust the brand of their fathers. Regradless, excellent gear at the beginning, and again today (there was a dark ages IMHO).
Silly statement indeed. I think people would agree that for the most part people on this site are audiophiles or at least take pride in their equipment. Plug Mcintosh into the systems search page and you will find about 400 people who use Mac gear in their systems...
I think many people like to crap on Mcintosh because it is a larger company owned by a conglomerate not necessarily because they have ever heard the equipment setup correctly. Mcintosh has a history and heritage and is a business adn to some that defies the idea it could be a real high end company.

MC is also still standout expensive in an industry of generally expensive products. I currently own Mcintosh equipment as well as stuff from CJ, SAE, ATI,Portage, Harman Kardon, YS Audio, Creek, Cambridge Audio, and others. I just bought some "new" vintage MC equipment I am having refurbished by Terry DeWick. I like the MC sound but prefer the older SS or tubes to todays stuff....maybe because I can afford more of it. I do, however, see where it is different depending on the music I listen to, the source I use, the speakers its played thru etc. Generally I feel MC is a little less detailed on the highe end but makes the mid-range just right, real, warm and like music. I started with MC 35+ years ago and have left and come back more than once. I found over time that most others SS sounded etched on the high end even though it was seen as "detailed". I found I could not listen as long or as intently as ot the MC. AND, I have never even owned MC tubes and dont consider myself an audiophile but rather just a music lover who occasionally has extra money to try to make his experience better! I have it in mind next that tubes will be something I have to get deep into as I heard a wonderful MC tube amp setup and system at Overture Audio 2 years ago that bests all the rest of my audio "memories". I think it might be my "last system". To each his own I think is the real answer....if you like it buy it. You should at least listen with open, objective ears.