Scaling down

Have you ever thought about scaling down to a smaller system, only to realize after auditioning some smaller music makers you wouldn't be happy for long?
tmsorosk
I guess I should have given more of an explanation. I do have three systems if you include the garage one, but the main system in the living room takes up allot of space and we do a fair bit of entertaining. So a more unobtrusive system would better. Moving the turntable, records cleaning machine, etc, etc to the lake spot helped quite a bit but there is still a ton of stuff, 1400 pounds actually.
if your main speakers are panels, replacing them with "boxes" will not make you a happy camper.
A few years ago I scaled down to a pair of ProAc 1SC with a cary 300sei integrated with a good cd player and I was in audio heaven. Had the system for a couple of years and was very happy with it. Good Luck and keep us posted.
I have found the primary focus should always be my enjoyment of the music. Big or small, humble or great. Then even smaller systems can be enjoyable. But for myself as long as I have the space, my big system will always be tops. Life demands sometimes dictate a change in listening habits, but it is hard to go backwards when one has tasted a better apple. Sometimes the sweetest apple is not always the biggest however.
I've had a blast downsizing. My wife decided we needed to move to a smaller house near the beach so I was forced to downsize. After moving from the big room almost five years ago I went through three integrated amps and three sets of speakers before I got the new one right. It took a long time to adjust my listening expectations in the smaller "venue" but now my system/room has strengths that I never had before. I do miss the stadium rock concert effect of the large room sometimes but overall enjoyment of music hasn't suffered at all.