What is a high end stereo SUPPOSED to sound like?

I've been thinking about this for a while....like 10+ years. Would be interested in what others have to say.
My latest answer would have to be "nothing". I want to hear the music and not the stereo. Like "Come over and listen to some music" versus "Come over and listen to my new stereo". If there are errors, they would be errors of omission, not commission because I assume they are less noticeable.
cdc
If you need a high end system to feel the soul present in music, then something is wrong. I'm not exactly sure what's wrong, but I know it's wrong, very wrong.
Newbee, too bad. Everyone's envy is the guy who never heard of Audiogon, has 5000 cds, and a cheapo system. Onhwy61 said it all!
Onhwy61, I hear you and thought I addressed it in my post. Of course you can have an emotional response to a song even on a car radio with a bunch of road noise. Sing along. Cry. Laugh. But there is an additional magic when hearing it live because of the nuances of emotion, the nuances of the instruments (including voice) and the clarity broadcast in a live performance. A good stereo should also accomplish that. The musicians grab a hold and don't let go at an entirely different level. Subtle but distinct to my heart. You can't not pay attention.
I like Onhwy61s take on it. It's a different angle but it does address the OPs original ruminations. One needn't have an expensive, high end system to feel the soul of the music.

Audiophile issues aside, the emotional response one gets from a song or piece of music is independent of the quality of the gear.

Granted, a highly resolving system is most welcome and would be icing on the cake and we can all agree that once you've heard better, going back is hard. But is it necessary? No.

All the best,
Nonoise
nonoise, experiments reported in stereophile years ago, confirm your position.

it would seem that the issue of the designation "high end", is irrelevant to the enjoyment of music, especially if the latter is the reason for having a stereo system in the first place.