digital vs vinyl thoughts

i suspect i have been comparing apples and oranges. i just bought a project debut 111 with a shure m97x and after a month have been less than overwhelmed. when i go back to my emotiva cd/musical fidelity v-dac the performance just blows the table away. i have checked everything several times. i have concluded that due to using power cords and ics[all morrow audio] on my set up that each equals the price of the table i was expecting too much from an entry level table. the vinyl reproduction is not distorted, seems to be tracking ok, is set up with good isolation, and after a month of use...broke in. but the fact that the project has a hard wired ac cord and less than stellar phono wires and a inexpensive cartridge must be the reason. the rest of the system is emotiva usp-1 pre and xpa-2 power with mmgs. any ideas? thanks john
hotmailjbc
How can anyone expect to resolve this issue, given the plethora of variables involved? ie: vinyls obtained at garage sales vs "audiophile" quality pressings, MM vs MC vs MI vs strain gauge cartridges, the quality or lack thereof of cabling/systems/speakers/phono stages/aural accuity/digital playback system, with what accuracy the analog system(cartridge VTF, VTA, Rake Angle, azimuth, arm/cart compatiblity, arm geometry)was assembled, etc. The analog system(RTR or TT) is much more hands-on than the CD. The biggest reason it ALMOST replaced vinyl, in the marketplace(ease of use). The vast majority of humanity is VERY LAZY. Well- that and gullible. "Perfect Sound Forever?"(yeah, right!) Then too; Kenny brought up another point in saying, "OK, more natural." I prefer analog because I listen to live music two or three times a week. I would just venture a guess, that most that prefer digital are comparing format with format(with all the aforementioned variables), rather than playback vs live. TO EACH HIS OWN! If YOU are happy; that's ALL that matters! BTW: My CD player is a BAT VK-D5, with six early 60's, Siemens CCa's in the analog output section and Kimber KS-1130 interconnects. No slouch, and excellent sound(for digital).
Marantz new digital, is less digital than old Theta; which was top of the line a few years ago.

I can only hear the difference in the "software".

I listen to CD's and LP's off the playlist of the computer. I can hear differences between the qualities of CD's and the quality of LP's, but I can't hear any consistant difference between the two.

I never have and maybe I never will hear the most expensive analog rig; it's for sure I'll never buy it.

This analog, digital thing seems like some kind of "mass hypnosis" thing that has overcome the "Gon" in favor of vinyl. I didn't say "analog", I said "vinyl".
I don't think there will ever be a resolution of this issue. we just move on with new formats and hope they get it right. But, they won't. Their job is to separate us from our money. New format means that you have to get your same recordings again in the new format. Analog vinyl to tape to CD (always easier to use). Video (VCR, Beta, VCR, LD, DVD), always easier to use. My only real issue with this subject is that I have found for most younger people, they have grown up getting use to sound reproduction that is absolutely terrible and thinking it is correct. Cymbols don't sound like real cymbols, etc. but they never have heard a real french horn, violin, bass, etc. They hear, highly compressed, poorly formatted/recorded digital music played back on some inexpensive mp3 setup, and they see no reason to spend thousands of dollars on a good system because their music is okay to them. I remember when my Daughter was young and I took her to a concert a long time ago to hear a really great female vocal singer perform. I didn't need to say anything afterwards. My Daughter finally heard real singing from a person that didn't do vocal calisthenics to mask the fact that they can't really hold a note. She was amazed and became a admirer of that singer to this day. So, no disrespect to anyone here, but every now and then I really want to hear the music as correctly as I possibly can. Hence, my analog rig. I've played classical vioin, sax, clarinet, oboe, bassoon, etc. I've played in orchestras, bands, etc. I know what a real drum, sax, violin, cymbol, etc. sound like. Some fancy magazine always states that their reference is live unamplified music. I don't agree with that at all. My reference is knowing what the music is supposed to sound like in the first place. But this is really hard to achieve. If you weren't in the recording room, you have no idea what they were trying to accomplish. But, for me in my living room, if a violin is playing, it better sound like a real violin, or a stand up bass, etc. is there a sound stage? Where are the performers on the stage? can I "see" them?, how deep is it? If I close my eyes and I can tell I'm listening to speakers, something is wrong. We aren't there yet. Digital to me means that I don't have to keep getting up to turn the album over, or clean the disc or the stylus. (easier to use digital playback than vinyl). My music server through my DAC doesn't sound nearly as good as my single disc CD transport through my DAC, so I still have to get up to change discs. Oh well. Music server listening for when I just want to sit and hear music. CD playback for when I really want to hear it. Analog playback for when I want to disappear into the song. We will have this discussion when the next latest and greatest music reproduction format comes out. I just hope I'm around and healthy enough to hear and experience it. Life is good.

enjoy
I wanted to add that I personally feel that both formats are essential for the playback of music. What good is any equipment without music to play on it?

I expanded my listening to audio files, not for convenience, but because I could not find certain music on LP or on CD. Or, it was only available on CD, or only available on LP. I would hate to give up music just because I'm a die-hard this or that.
I am able to enjoy both by not having to decide which is better. Just liking the music that I hear...