Why aren't the older members still active ?

Just curious who is still very active from 2000 and earlier
on this site? I don't get on very often. I guess I have no opinions or my interest lies elsewhere. I remember in the early 2000s there seemed more interesting and heated topics then now. I cannot even get a rise out of anybody for saying "the Beatles where the worse group ever". I think somebody replied " I am a moron" without stating why he thought they were good. I started a thread in Music: Garage Band Hangover, about a website called Garage Hangover, but like 2 people responded. Some of my favs haven't been on in 3 even 5 years. So why is that?
shubertmaniac
Shubert..., good question, but you really should get on more often. You're missing some really good pissing matches. Discretion restrains me from mentioning names or threads, but a couple of times, several members have practically called each other out.

That's a shame because it's only a hobby. Honestly, I enjoy the science and technology aspects and a number of members are very knowlegeable. I have exchanged a number of e-mails offline from time to time with a few members to learn more about the technical side of our hobby.

Glad to have you back. Cheers!
Hi. I am active since 2002. I think, there are still some interesting threads and posts but not many. And you are right. I just said that Pink Floyd's DSOTM is the most overrated album and that they cannot sing, and no-one reacted. Also, I started a thread about matching cartridge and speakers, and except one person and two imbiciles nobody seems to be interested. And when I say that if you want to have your cartridge perfectly aligned do it by ear, there is not much enthusiasm. And I think that's because many audiophiles have no patience or/and good hearing. But overall it is still not too bad.
I've been on the site for a pretty long time. We've lost some members ( Lugnut comes to mind) due to death or illness; we also had some folks announce they were tired of the site and quit, and we've had some dudes just disappear. I think the hobby is transient for many folks, independent of music. One member I wonder about is Slappy, who made me laugh countless times...funny dude.
I think there is a cycle many go through, where things are initially new and exciting with endless possibilities...folks making cables, silver vs. copper vs. gold, cap upgrades, endless cable discussions, SS vs. tubes, isolation, vibration damping, constant upgrading, then after awhile folks are zeroing in on equipment that provides the type of sound they enjoy (for example, I have purchased 4 and sold 3 of my favorite preamp while deciding that nothing I have owned is better). Once you have gone through that cycle and, constructed a system you enjoy, the excitment of hanging out here to discuss upgrades, tweaks, etc. isn't the same as in the beginning. You move on to other pursuits and spend more time listening, maybe pay more attention to the music related posts, or to the humor many display on this site. I buy and sell less than before, although I have been hanging out more lately to learn about setting up a computer source. We certainly had/have some colorful, funny, knowledgeable older members, and many are thankfully still here, but I enjoy reading posts from the newer members too.
"The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells".