Why aren't the older members still active ?

Just curious who is still very active from 2000 and earlier
on this site? I don't get on very often. I guess I have no opinions or my interest lies elsewhere. I remember in the early 2000s there seemed more interesting and heated topics then now. I cannot even get a rise out of anybody for saying "the Beatles where the worse group ever". I think somebody replied " I am a moron" without stating why he thought they were good. I started a thread in Music: Garage Band Hangover, about a website called Garage Hangover, but like 2 people responded. Some of my favs haven't been on in 3 even 5 years. So why is that?
shubertmaniac
Shubertmaniac,

I've wondered the same thing, there was an Audiogon thread on that topic a couple of years ago but I don't remember the title.

I think it's a combination of things, the internet and chat were newer and more exciting and it's possible some members feel they have already "spoken" their mind.

Then there's the economy, it's not been great for a long time but these last few years have been brutal. Not just the USA, but worldwide. Many people are fighting to stay alive financially and audio is one of those things that can go.

As for missing members, If it were possible to wave a magic wand and have them return I would do so and have a long wish list I would begin with.
Albert has a good, but sad point,In 2008 I was laid off a job I had for 16 years,,almost everyone of my friends lost their jobs or business.Took me close to 3 years to recover.Much of the time I did not have internet at home,,came close to not having a home!I think things changed in this country,and have not recovered yet.Other things take your free time and leave little time for chatting on the internet.Things have improved for me,but many have not recovered.Im sure as we age there are those who have health problems that make it hard or impossible to come here.God bless one and all,Ray
I find myself posting less and less for several reasons: among them are that many of the threads seem to repeat themselves endlessly at frequent intervals. Also questions like what is the best --- at X$ with nothing stated as to the rest of the system or the taste and room size of the poster are simply not capable of being answered. Debates like the current 5000+ post one on the general merits of MM VS MC get boring quickly, at least to me. Questions about how specific MMs compare to specific MCs are more capable of being answered helpfully as far as I can see. One essential thing about this hobby is to determine your own taste in equeptment; no matter what others may say it is what you like that is important. Sadly many either don't trust their own hearing or don't want to undergo the necessary learning curve and want to be told what is the best; this I take to be the reason why there is so much great gear on here at good prices. Debates on the merits of different artists or music types seem perticulary useless. You like it or you don't and no amount of discussion will make the smallest difference. I am indifferent to the Beatles myself; this may say something about me but nothing at all about them; ditto with Bob Dylan. I undoubtably like some that the next person hates, who cares? Unless we are perhaps to adopt Fortinbras [ misspelled] dictum that "Truly, to be great is to find a quarel in a straw".
They got tired of people who were just trying to start arguments posting all the time?