What started you on your audiophile journey .

Was it a friend or family members great system , the love of well recorded music , or just needed a hobby .
tmsorosk
Music was always part of who I was so my dad brought home a Garrard turntable and Eico integrated amp from a yard sale when I was 14 or so. He did this to keep me away from his console stereo in the living room. I had to build my own speakers from some MDF and a pair of eight inch speakers.
Enjoyed that for a couple of years before buying a Harman Kardon receiver with a BSR turntable and Tech Hifi's branded speakers.
My journey started with a fascination for electronics . When I was 12 , about 1970 I started building crystal radio kits then AM radio kits then started to design my own circuits . I was amazed at how much better my designs sounded than the receivers of the day , it added fuel to the fire . I even took apart my parents new console stereo , really mono , needles to say when they found out the whole thing ended with much discord . When I was 17 , about 1975 , I heard my first real audio system , Mac separates , it knocked my socks off . I new at that point that I would newer reach that level on my own and started buying audio gear and have been upgrading ever since , still not done .
When I heard equipment from Great American Sound, otherwise known as GAS, back in the late '70s. I still have a Thoebe preamp and Son of Ampzilla.
My father...He was building speakers back in the 50's and he just loved music of all kinds and enjoyed reading about and owning the latest equipment. He got me started and I'm still playing. He's 95 years old now and still sneaks new components into the house even though his hearing isn't what it used to be. I learned from the best!