Want McIntosh sound, but can't afford the MDA1000?

After many years of trying other brands I returned to McIntosh and really happy I did. I mainly listen to LP's, but have a serious collection of CD. Given the advances in digital streaming I decided to purchase a Logitech Duet and stream music from my computer. As good as the Duet is, it left me wishing for something better and thereby my adventure into DAC's. After trying several of the models out there, and reading many reviews I wanted the McIntosh MDA1000. However, given the economic environment I really did not think $8K for a DAC was the right thing to do, at least for now. I noticed McIntosh produces the MDA5000 DAC for car audio and wondered how would it sound on a home system in combination with a duet. I decided I wanted to try it and purchased a new MDA5000 plus an AC/DC transformer. At just over $1K is one of the best investments I have ever made. The MDA5000 is really a great DAC and betters the sound coming from the Duet over all the others I tried. I cannot tell you, and would not expect it to sound as good as the MDA1000. But for the investment it is truely a bargain. Sure McIntosh will consider increasing the price once this gets out there. If you like the McIntosh sound and have been regreting not having an MDA1000, try this one and you will be surprised.
dserran

Showing 1 response by cerrot

I couldn't agree with Brianmgracom more. We had a post a while ago where someone advised just how bad their experience was with a compoent, but wouldn't say what brand it was as they didn't want to hurt the manufacturer. What possible benefit could that possibly be? While I appreciate, enjoy and may even relate to other members experience with a piece of gear, their opinions are not the end all and be all to effect my buying (or not buying) the component. Looking at the Esoteric X03-SE, for example (as I own it), there are posts who rave about it, and posts that do not. Doesn't change MY opinion of it as system synergy, cables, power cords, isolation devices, line conditioners, etc., all play a role in the listeners experience (as well as break in, warm up, etc). Leaving out the other dacs is a disservice to all of us as we may learn from your experience, and, may even be able to offer assistance as to why a certain experience to one of the dacs occurred (someone may say, yeah, it sounded thin, but if you use a so and so cable, it sounds great (and all of us can take advantage of the hours, frustrations and money another member went through). Going back to the Esoteric, one member had sent it back as he didnt't like it, only to find out from other members of the rediculously long break in time and ended up wanting to try it again as it hadn't been suffeciently burned in. Now, not mentioning the brand---that would have hurt the manufacturer.