VTL ST-85 vs. VTL ST-150 or rather EL34 vs 6550

I am curious to know the sonic differences between these two amps. Aside from the obvious that one is higher power than the other, how much different are they in terms of sonic character from one another? I ask since the 85 uses the EL34 (which seems to have a following in Tube circles) and the 150 uses the 6550, also well-respected but different. At the present time, I am using an 85 until my brand new 150 arrives tomorrow. I really like the overall nature of the 85 quite a bit, and my line of thinking in ordering a 150 was that it would provide the same sound, but with just a little more crunch. Now I am finding out that may not be the case since the output stage tubes are completely different, 85 having EL34 and 150 having 6550.

So my question is; are these two amps in any way different as far as how they present the music (not the power they have)? Or should I expect the overall house sound of VTL (which I obviously like)to show through on either amp? I don't want a harsh sound, and the EL34 seems to be quite the opposite, very nice, slow, romantic, smooth etc. Just not sure about the 6550 since I have no experience with it, and this has me worried that I won't like it on my 805s speakers, like I like the 85/EL34.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide, much appreciated.
jc51373

Showing 1 response by jack_dotson

Cheesehead, what is the favorite ss amp you refer to?

JC51373 who did you order your amp from? I've been interested in the VTL's for some time, but don't have a dealer that's close. Did you get an in-home trial period?

Thanks