Tube Integrated Under 1,500

Looking for tube integrated for a second system. I have 1,500 tops to spend, and I will definitely buy used. Im thinking el34 but maybe an el84. I need at least 30 watts and something that’s fairly stout for tube. Maybe I could get by with 20 watts if I went el84 but not sure. Speakers are Totem Rainforest, which I believe are 86db, and the room is small, about 9x11x8.

I’m leaning pretty strongly towards grabbing a Primaluna. I have Primaluna seperates in my main system and am pretty happy with them. I’m trying to be open to other brands for this new amp but I’m struggling to find much that I feel confident about getting service for down the road. I’m hoping folks on here can lead me to some things I’ve missed maybe. I’m aware of Willsenton and Muzishare but not to confident if I need parts in 5-10 years they will be available. Line Magnetic I’d be open to if I could find the right amp in my price range. After those brands I’m not aware of much. There’s Icon but there amps seem to be about half the weight compared to some others. Just not sure there is good value there I guess. LSA has there new integrated but it also seems a bit cheap to me. Rogue seems to run there tubes pretty hard and I find the Chronus pretty hideous cosmetically. Jolida/ Black Ice seem alright I just can’t really get into the looks, and the used market seems weak if I ever sell.

Anyways, I’m not sure what else is really out there but hopefully you guys do. I thought it was worth asking before I grab another Primaluna.

brylandgoodman

Rogue Sphinx V3 at $1800. Had it for two years now, lovely integrated that is extremely musical and not fussy. I will look at Rogue again if I ever decide to get another pre/amp.

There is a Sphinx V2 over on usaudiomart for $850. You could use the leftover cash for some nice tubes and cables.  V3 over on TMR for around $1.4K.

I ran an RP-1 -->PS Audio S300 for several years with satisfaction.  I think tube class D combos sound good. 

+1 on the Willsenton R8.  I too wanted to experiment with an all tube integrated and after a thorough search of reviews, forums and comparative findings, chose the R8.  The build quality is absolutely top notch, which is unanimously pointed out in the forums.  Sound quality is excellent and it's a tube rollers dream.....it responds very well to a variety of NOS tubes so you can flavor it to your tastes.  I too preferred the lower powered triode mode driving speakers with a sensitivity of 88db @ 4 ohms.  Works fine in my smallish room.  

Enjoy!

Don't overlook the possibility of building one from a kit or set of plans. You will be surprised at the simplicity of an SET. If you know someone to guide you you will have a successful and satisfactory outcome. You can go for polypropylene filter capacitors in the power supply. These have an indefinite shelf life and life expectancy over the years and decades than electrolytic ones in amplifiers costing tens of thousands of dollars. You can have a chassis in any style you want. 

Bryland,

I've owned a Tubes4HiFi VTA ST-120 amplifier for 5 years, and loved every second of it. It ran my Thiel CS2.3 floorstanders for most of it's life, only being moved when I purchased my Thiel CS 3.6 speakers....which I've recently sold as well.

The Amp can be purchased as a kit with no tubes for $1,180, or an assembled unit for $1,600....I assembled my own, and it was easy (and not terribly time consuming).....directions were clear and precise. The driver tubes are 3 12AU7 (or equivalents), 6550 or KT88/KT120/KT150 output tubes, and a 5U4XX rectifier. Power with the 6550s is 60 high current WPC and the KT series runs up from there, capping out at 80 high current WPC?

I'm using NOS RCA "Clear Top" 12AU7 driver tubes, an NOS Phillips 5R4GY rectifier (swap in a Mullard GZ37 rectifier at times), and Tung Sol KT120 ouput tubes....total tube cost about $500.....this unit is a tube rollers dream if that is of any interest to you.

If you are up for a project and handy with a soldering iron, it's a fun project with the final product being a killer amplifier with very high end tubes for about $1,700

http://tubes4hifi.com/amps.htm

For the money a used Jolida is hard to beat IMO. I have a 302CRC and it’s just a really great sounding amp. Picked up for 600 bucks and has low hour RCA black plate input tubes and Eh power tubes. Plan on keeping it for 2nd system indefinitely. My first EL34 amp and I really like it.