Thorens TD 166 mk2

Hi,
First time posting, long time follower, in a very long time.
so this is my first vintage TT, I just bought an refurbished Thorens TD 166 from Ebay, it`s one heck of a nice looking machine, total wife approval. the gentleman that rebuild this table is from Germany. he sells them on ebay. The Seller offered my money back, but I want to really keep this table. Ok so here is the problem, I had to buy voltage transformer from amazon, really no big deal, I over did it and bought a 200 watt transformer, which converts 220 to 110 or visa versa. The real problem is after I installed the barely new genuine Thorens belt. Turn the machine to 33 speed, nothing happens, or on 45 speed for that matter, the switch is working fine, it changes speed with no problem, with my infinite wisdom, I wish,,, I decided to clean the belt, the pulley, and the platter with rubbing alcohol, just in case any oil got on them, does that ever work? Zip, nada, same old problem. Next thing I did was to manually spin the platter manually with the swith on the on position, it took a few rotations, but i got to spin on it`s own, in both positions of course. Now here is the funny part, with the arm adjusted, cartridge setup (a Ortofon OM10, nearly new), Vta set at 1.50, tracking force adjusted appropriately, I put on a Bob Segar album, and I swear I went back 20 years with my son, Alvin and Chimpmunks were Jamming out, seriously, I know the platter is running too fast.
I have no idea how to troubleshoot this, as I`m just back to vinyl after a thirty year layover. This is my second table.
Your kind Help and suggestions will be highly appreciated, and I want thank you in advance..
Armando

note: this was also posted on vinyl engine!!
dabears1983
I would look into replacing the European voltage motor with a U.S. voltage one. Don't worry, it's not too difficult or expensive. Do you have a local turntable technician who can do the job?
Thank you for you responses, I did find a 60Hz motor pulley in the box, installed that, and Albin has left the building, Yeah!!, speeds are back to normal. Next thing is changing the voltage, but wont be able to that till tomorrow. Will keep you informed.
Once again, thank you and happy listening!!
Good deal. Enjoy the table. I use a hot-rodded 166 MKii in my second system. They can compete with $1500 tables all day.
Hi, 
So i changed the internal voltage to 110, speeds are normal, start is normal, no more manual help..sounds great. to me it sounds just as good as my main rig, just different. Better for late night listening.
Thank you for your help, it meant the world to me.
@helomech.  I see no information on that website about tweaking a 166 turntable.
I would love to get more information about how I can improve the performance of mine. Also, is there a reason that mine starts so slow? I usually give it a little bit of a cyst to get it up to speed, although it does stay on speed.