This Sounds Like A Pretty Good Deal -- Opinions?

Fellow music lovers,

I have the chance to purchase a McIntosh MC-225 that has already been gone over by a pro and been refurbished along with a McIntosh C11 that has undergone the same loving treatment.  I can purchase both for a total of $3,500 or just the MC-225 for $1,800.  Basically getting a deal from a good friend of a good friend.  I already have an ARC SL-17 I was going to use as the Preamp, but he is making it very hard not to take both pieces.  The MC-225 and C-11 are currently hooked up together in one of his vintage systems.

I guess I'm looking for validation and help at spending my money, LOL.  Is it a no-brainer to buy both pieces?  Does anyone have any experience with an MC-225 paired with a C-11 or an ARC SP-17?  Which had best synergy together?  These pieces would be pushing a 1987 pair of Klipsch Forte's with the Crites Crossover upgrades, and most likely only have a turntable with phono preamp and a streaming unit connected.  Turntable and phono preamp to be determined -- streaming device is a Bluesound Node.

Thank you for your input.

allenf1963

The purchase of the McIntosh MC-225 and the McIntosh C11 sounds like a good deal. I probably would ask for more information on what is means to "been gone over by a pro and been refurbished".

Were any parts replaced? What exactly was refurbished? Are all the parts replaced using McIntosh parts? Do the components come with any warranty? I would confirm that all speaker connections and RCA jacks are rust free and look good. What happens if after 6-months or a year, you have technical issues with these components? Are parts for the McIntosh MC-225 and the McIntosh C11 still available and can you find someone to work on them? What is the condition of the tubes and cost to replace them?

Can you audition these components before you purchase? I suggest you compare the McIntosh MC-225 and the McIntosh C11 units vs. a new integrated amplifier priced around $3,500 (your budget price). A newer unit might sound better, provide peace of mind since it is new and a path for improved sound quality in the future. Just a thought.

The MC225 is one of the most sought after McIntosh tube amps. In poor shape(not working) they go for a premium price.  That amp with the C11 preamp will give that richness to the sound that was very sought after in the 70’s.  If you don’t buy it, tell your friend I will buy it.  I will travel to pick it up, very serious. I was going to purchase a tube integrated for around that price but I would rather have the combo.  

Just curious. If you buy both pieces, are you going to use a low output pickup? If not try the phono stage in the C11 first.

great gear, but agree "gone over and refurbished by a pro" is meaningless without lots of details...