Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant

rc1985 - I can offer some general thoughts. The 1988 CS1.2 is a worthy speaker, having our first copper shunting rings on the woofer and our first aluminum tweeter (with ferro-fluid). Its development paralleled the 1989 CS5 and shared technology development between those co-products. I consider the CS1.2 as definitely worthy of up-grade.

Your woofers are from Vifa and have rubber surrounds. Foam went out with the original 'O' series. The surrounds should be renewable with rubber rejuvenator. I suggest you contact Rob Gillum at CoherentSource Service for recommendations.

I have done work on the successor CS1.5, but not yet on the 1.2. I am willing to get XO information and make recommendations. However, I will caution that replacing XO components is a rather expensive route to higher performance. We might rather look at other low-hanging fruit of port aerodynamics, grille-board attachment, wire, terminals, XO placement and signal routing. We can wade in via PM if you wish.  

I remember Thiel being very well respected American speakers some years back and whenever I heard them I thought they sounded very nice especially how spacious they sounded.

Is the company out of business?  I haven't heard much mention of them in recent years about new products or anything.

rc1985

Good to see you here again. As above, reach out and touch Mr. Rob Gillum at CSS.  Keep me posted on your repair journey.

Happy Listening!

tomthiel

Thank You for addressing rc1985 query on the CS 1.2 speaker. I hope that you are well this Spring day.

Happy Listening!

troidelover1499

Welcome! Yes, Thiel Audio is no longer in business. On the bright side of Life, this thread has Mr. Tom Thiel and Mr. Rob Gillum (at Coherent Source Service, Lexington KY) to offer advice,repair and upgrade Services.

Happy Listening!