Tekton Double Impacts

Anybody out there heard these??

I have dedicated audio room 14.5x20.5x9 ft.  Currently have Marantz Reference CD/Intergrated paired to Magnepan 1.7's with REL T-7 subs.  For the vast majority of music I love this system.  The only nit pick is that it is lacking/limited in covering say below 35 hz or so.  For the first time actually buzzed the panel with an organ sacd. Bummer.  Thought of upgrading subs to rythmicks but then I will need to high pass the 1.7's.  Really don't want to deal with that approach.

Enter the Double Impacts.  Many interesting things here.  Would certainly have a different set of strengths here.  Dynamics, claimed bottom octave coverage in one package, suspect a good match to current electronics.

I've read all the threads here so we do not need to rehash that.  Just wondering if others out there have FIRST HAND experience with these or other Tekton speakers

Thanks.
corelli

Showing 50 responses by mac48025

I have the very first pair of Double Impacts made and have been enjoying them for months now. They are seemless from top to bottom, have some of the best bass I've heard in a speaker, throw a huge soundstage, are very dynamic and have liquid mids with very detailed and airy highs. I've owned Vandersteen 3a's, Revel Salons, Magnepan 1.7i's and Legacy Audio Focus SE's and while they were all great speakers the Double Impacts are my fav. I was leery that a $3000 speaker could perform so well, but after comparing them side by side with the Legacys they won me over. If you're looking for a very musical speaker that disappears behind a huge wall of live sound, the Double Impacts are well worth looking at. FWIW, I drive them with a 24 watt Decware tube amp.
Corelli, it's difficult comparing the DI's to the Maggie's as they are such differant animals and it's all about personal preferences. The Maggie's were amazing with such stunning detail and with how they totally disappear. What they lacked for me was dynamics, which Tektons excell at. At the time I had the Odyssey Candela pre with their Kismet Monoblocks. They drove the Maggie's well but compared to the Tekton Enzo's I had at the time they lacked that dynamic slam I was looking for.

Since then my tastes have gravitated  towards high efficiency speakers with low powered tube amps.......I was looking to move to a 300B SET amp until I came across the Linear Tube Audio ZOTL 40. With high powered SS amps the DI's are dynamic giants but I've fallen in love with the NOS tube sound and the DI's sound amazingly good with them. With either low powered tube or high powered SS amps the DI's will provide much musical pleasure. 

So while I loved the sound of the Maggie's, I don't miss anything about them especially since I've taken the smaller tube amp route. Hope that answers your question. 
Hi Charles,

Sorry for taking so long to respond, I lost track of this thread. I doubt the Frankensteins would drive the DI's well, but I'd love to hear them together. While the DI's are rated at 98.6 db sensitivity as Israel Blume points out that only tells part of the story in how easy a speaker is to drive. I'm thinking with their four way design and possibly erratic impedence curve, they are more difficult to drive than Coincident speakers. Someday I hope to have an all Coincident system but finances dictate another route for now. My Decware Torii sounds great as long as I don't push it too hard which limits the volume, so I'm going to try the Linear Tube Audio pre and amp as I have heard them on the DI's and they came very close to the Frankensteins with the Super Victorys I heard a while back......a VERY realistic live sound, as if the performers were in the room performing. As a matter of fact, Terry Londons upcoming review of the DI's should be with the Linear Tube Audio MZ2-S pre and ZOTL 40 amp as they are in his reference system. 

Kalali, I had the Tekon Enzo's without the new patent and thought they sounded great. I really can't discern any difference that the patent might add.....that doesn't mean it's not doing so. 
Charles,

Hello neighbor. It really is a small world. How kind of you to offer try your Frankensteins. They are my end goal amps but I would need new speakers for them. I'm enjoying the DI's too much to let them go at this point. I'll probably keep them for my theater system. I can't afford the Coincident speakers this year so going with the Linear Tube Audio gear will get me a good way of the way there. You're more than welcome to take a listen......even if it's a step down from what you're used to listening to! 

Im with you Corelli, the boastful patent claims are over the top to me but it's the results that count and I've been more than pleased with both of the Tekton speakers I've owned. 
2channel8,

sorry for the confusion, that's not what I meant at all. While the Enzo's are a great speaker they are not in the same league as the DI's. I only meant I could not detect any discernible sound attributed just to the new patent. It certainly may be there, I just couldn't detect a distinctive sound signature  difference between the pre patent Enzo's and the post patent DI. Having said that the DI's do you everything better than the Enzo's from a deeper, tighter bass to their naturally organic liquid mids to their airier highs. There is more micro and macro detail, a larger sound stage and more precise imaging. The DI's disappear behind a seemless wall of sound and that's easy to become lost within. While I loved the Enzo's, the DI's take things to a whole new level and are well worth the extra $1400. Hope that clears things up.
Teajay, your impressions of the DI's are spot on with mine. I still had my Legacy Audio Focus SE's when I recieved my DI's and spent 3 weeks with both until deciding to sell the Legacys. Many couldnt believe I preferred the DI's over such a good speaker, but I did and do. Next I'll be adding the Linear Tube Audio MZ2-S pre amp and ZOTL 40 amp and I thank you for your great review of both. While I love my Decware Torii mkIV it limits me to SPL readings of lower to mid 70db before sounding strained and harsh. Sometimes I like to listen a bit louder and I'll also like the extra headroom the ZOTL 40 will bring......along with its beautiful live musical sound. Can't wait to read your review of the DI's with the LTA gear and finally hear a professional extol the virtues of the DI's as I've been doing since getting mine last September. 

Charles, once my LTA gear is in place and burned in I'll give you a shout to come and listen. My system sounds quite good now but the LTA gear should take it to the next level......maybe close enough to the 300B SET sound to make me happy for life! 

I agree totally with Jeff's assessment. Break in is quite quick with subtle improvements occurring up to about 100 hours. I was using the Yggy DAC to great effect until getting the PS Audio Perfectwave transport and DAC. Tekton and Schiit are two of the best audio values out there.

LASTLY, as good as the DI's are has anyone seen Tektons new line of PMD speakers? Three Professional Monitor Designs priced at $10k, $20k and $40k a pair. Tekton is venturing into stratified air with these. Can they really sound that much better to justify the increased price? If so they will be unbelievable!
Teajay,

It sounds to me that the Linear Tube Audio products with my Double Impacts will be a very formidable combination. Your reviews of the micro ZOTL and ZOTL 40 went a long way towards me making my decision to go with them. I thank you for that. And you're right, together with the DI's it might not just be one of the best audio values around but maybe one of the best systems out there. I can't wait to add the Linear Tube Audio amps to my system and I'm sure your upcoming DI review will only have me chomping at the bit even more! 

Mike,

You're a distributor for both Tekton and LTA? Sweet. I just might have to make the trip from the Motor City to the Windy City to check your place out. When you say you'll have the "upgraded" Double Impacts do you mean a PMD version? While I wont ever be spending the $30k plus they will probably go for, it would be interesting to hear them.  I would think for ten times the cost they must have more than just upgraded drivers and cross overs.......maybe a totally new cabinet with substantial bracing? Inquiring minds want to know :)

Jetter,

I'm not a fan of the boastful claims either but I wouldn't let that stop me from getting some amazing speakers and an unbelievable price. Eric has a lot of reason to be boastful, even if I prefer a more modest approach. I would recommend that you ignore the website claims and concentrate on the claims of those who have heard the speakers. While those of us that own the DI's are equally boastful, it's more palatable than one tooting his own horn :) 
Good to hear they are shipping right away. I believe you'll have to sign for the delivery....maybe not.

The Odyssey will be sweet with the DI's. Before going to tubes I had the Kismet Monoblocks with a Candela and the dynamics and sound levels I could achieve were insane. You will have a lot of fun with the Odyssey/DI combo. I want to do a second system like yours....Stratos with DI's. Warning......make sure the volume is turned very low when first hooking things up! I never went past 10 o'clock on the Candela dial. You may want to strap down any small kids or pets standing in front of the DI's if you crank up the sound :) Beware that any noise issues you have in your system will become more evident with these efficient speakers. 

A future automotive paint job later sounds like the way to go. Ford Electric Blue sounds sweet. I want to go with BMW Phoenix Green they only use on the M3 on my next set. 
Congrats mofojo. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised at just how good they sound. You're getting them next week? Not too long ago there was a 6-8 week wait.....but maybe that was just for the custom paint. 

Lowrider, I never understood why Eric has some of his speakers sensitivity rated at 2.83 volts @ 1 meter and others 1 watt @ 1 meter. I don't think the speakers are quite as efficient as their specs but like you pointed out they're probably still in the 92-95 db range. I believe Stereophile tested the Enzo XL at about 92 db and the specs list them at 96.5 db. Which ever number is correct matters not to me as they sound great no matter what the actual number is. 

I will say the DI's seem to respond well to giving them room away from walls, but that's probably the same for all speakers. I moved mine 6' from the back wall....actually it's more like 13' since there's a 6' opening between the speakers into a small room that I house the components.....and 4' from the side walls and they've opened up more than I though possible. The soundstage is deeper and wider and the speakers completely disappear. All I need now is an amp with more oomph. The 24 watt Decware tube amp sounds great but strains too much if I want higher volume levels. The amp was plenty for the Enzo's but the DI's must be harder to drive. 
Thanks for the explanations Al and lowrider. While I don't have a lot of technical knowledge regarding audio equipment, I enjoy learning about it. All this time I was focusing on sensitivity specs without giving thought to impedence. That explains why my tube amp is having a harder time driving the 4 ohm DI's than the 6 ohm Enzo's even though they're both about 98 db sensitive. I'm told the impedence curve also influences how hard a speaker is to drive? The flatter the impedence curve the easier it is to drive? Thanks for your help. While I care more about sound than specs understanding how the electronics and the speakers react to one another is very helpful in choosing the products that will work well together. Thanks again. 
Mofojo,

Steve Deckert of Decware helped me with placing the quadratic diffusers at the first reflection points on the ceiling, one side wall and on the back wall along with building floor to ceiling bass traps in each corner and hanging heavy velvet curtains on the side wall without the diffusers. We also decided to cover all of the exposed ductwork with acoustic foam. The room sounds great. Building a dedicated room was one of the best audio investments I've made. I wish I could share some specific wisdom for your room, but I pretty much followed Steve's advise. My room is in the basement with low ceilings, 7'6", so I guess the bass traps are more necessary. Placing diffusion at the first reflection points seemed to really help along with carpet and padding on the concrete floor. After that experimenting with absorption throughout the room, especially where the walls meet the ceiling would be the extent of my advise. Hope that helps. 
I had two Vandersteen subs that I used for years with a variety of speakers but not with the DI's.......and they aren't missed at all. The DI's have some of the best bass I've heard. The bass goes low, it's tight, fast and blends seemlessly with the other drivers. Would adding subs make them sound even better? Probably, but I'll not be in a rush to do so........even as enticing as the Tekton Brisance subs look.
Mofojo,
there are two rear bass ports and the four small ports on the front next to the mid drivers.
Thanks Al, so in other words there are more factors involved that determine how easy a speaker is to drive than I'll ever understand! :) I appreciate that you take the time to explain the technical aspects of our hobby to novices such as myself. Obviously Eric understands all of this very well as he continually amazes me with his speaker designs......and offering them at prices I can afford. 

teajay.......I'm not exactly sure what qualifies a speaker as being reference speakers, but I consider the DI as one also. Having owned the Legacy Audio Focus SE ( $12K retail) at the same time I had the DI's and ended up selling the Legacys, I was able to directly compare the two. The speakers were more similar than differant with each doing some things slightly better than the other. I happened to like what the DI's to better more. That's saying a lot as the Focus SE's are very formidable speakers and is four times the cost of the DI.  I can't wait to add the Linear Tube Audio pre and amp to my system to really make my DI's sing. 
jetter, they're pretty big but I don't consider them massive. I had them in my 20x15x8 family until building the dedicated listening room and while they definately stood out they didn't totally dominate. The wife even got used to them.....and that's saying a lot! The problem is if they were a foot smaller they wouldn't be DI's anymore :) The Enzo XL or Enzo are shorter and sound great but aren't up to par with the DI's. I went with Mercedes Diamond Black which makes them appear a bit smaller. 
Mike, 

When you said updated DI, I was thinking a PMD DI which are in the price range I was guessing at. When will we hear more about this new upgraded DI? Is it something that our current DI's can be updated to? Inquiring minds must know! :) Any info anyone could give on them would be appreciated. 

Terry's good natured challenge would be a great one to hear the results of. I've never personally heard the Wilsons, but many seem to compare Tektons sound to them. It would be very interesting to hear how they actually compare. Something tells me the DI's would make a very good account of themselves. When I first got my DI's and shared my impressions of them many doubted they could be as good as I was describing or that I preferred them over my Legacy Audio Focus SE's. Comparing them to your Wilsons would take things up a notch or two......or three! 
Looking forward to it teajay! Double Impacts with the Linear Tube Audio pre and amp.......that will be my system soon. Can't wait to hear your impressions of them together. Thanks for the heads up.
 Mofojo, I'm in Michigan also just north of Detroit. You're welcome to come hear how I have my DI's set up should you wish. Have fun playing with your new toys!

Corelli, it's going to take some time getting used to the DI's after the Maggie's. As much as I loved the 1.7i's I sold them after 3 weeks as I just couldn't live without the dynamic impact of the Tekton Enzo's I had at the time. Two very different sounds from the Maggie's and Tektons. Hope you're already enjoying the new speakers. 

Lol mofojo, six months of listening to my DI's and I still think they have no right sounding as good as they do.....so join the club! Your skepticism is understandable as I was the first to own and review these speakers and was probably over the top in extolling their praise, but it was hard not to. It's been comforting seeing so many echo my praise of them.....at least I know I'm not crazy now! FWIW........any system improvements will be clearly evident through the DI's along with room treatments and speaker placement. I've found giving them space away from side and back walls helps them to open up more, but I'm sure that's true for just about any speaker. 
Only Eric knows what kind of crossover wizardry is going on with the DI's. Many were apprehensive about the seven tweeter array but after owning the Enzo's with their three tweeter array I trusted in Erics abilities with tweeter arrays. I haven't listened closely to the differant drivers but I'll have to now as I would have thought the mid bass drivers would have handled more of the upper mids. With your Odyssey Stratos Extremes driving the DI's have you blown over any walls yet?
Hey Lance,
While the DI's sound excellent 2' from the back and side walls they sounded better yet when I was able to give them even more room from the walls after building a dedicated listening room. They are now 4' from the side walls and 6' from the back wall with a 6' opening between the speakers extending another 6'. 
I couldn't agree more Charles. I took a leap of faith buying the first pair of DI's without anyone having heard them but after owning the Tekton Enzo's for two years the leap was short as the Enzo's could easily compete with speakers costing many times more. A system consisting of the Linear Tube Audio MZ2-S and ZOTL 40 with the DI's for just over $10k isn't cheap, but it is quite the bargain. I'm hoping it will be my forever system......and teajay's review of the LTA gear were very helpful in leading me to them as I'm sure his review of the DI's will do the same for many others. 
Thanks everyone. I ordered mine with the clarity cap, silver coated internal wiring, binding post upgrades and automotive paint so I might be set. It will be interesting to find out if there are even further upgrades. Just as long as it's not a PMD upgrade, that's too rich for my blood!
Mike,
What has been upgraded in the DI? It boggles my mind that Eric could improve upon it.....and so soon. There might be upgraded DI's in my future with my current DI's moved to my home theater system. The new DI's driven by the ZOTL 40 and my current ones driven by a SS amp in my home theater system. A win/win!
Yes, the Professional Monitoring Device speakers.

Brilliance PMD $10,000/pair
Pendragon PMD $20,000/pair
Ulfbehrt PMD $40,000/pair

Glad to hear you're liking the DI's as much as I am mofojo. Getting the wife's approval is huge! We will need to start a motor city DI club! The thread size is 1/4-20. I'm using the Mapleshade Heavyfeet carpet spikes and they not only couple the speakers to the basement floor well but are very stable, lift the speakers off the floor about an inch and look good.....the wife will like that! 

Quite a jump indeed jetter. As good as the DI's sound I can't imagine the PMD's warranting such prices......but who knows, maybe they are that much better.
Nice review corelli. I concur with your assessment but give them more time for the bass to fill in. If the bass doesn't fully fill in you might want to experiment with speaker placement and/or listening position as you may be sitting in a bass null. I find their bass to be very deep, musical and impactful. You know you have something special when the wife is impressed! Congrats. 
You're going to love their bass when it fills out corelli. It's VERY impressive. Sounds like you have a good handle on speaker placement. It amazes me how bringing the speakers together or toeing in or out a mere half inch can make a huge difference. It's tedious finding that perfect placement but well worth it when the speakers totally disappear behind a huge, seamless wall of realistic music. 

The satin black will grow on you, it's sort of industry looking. My first pair of Tektons were satin black and I liked them but the automotive paint finish of my DI's is really sweet. Not that their appearance matters when you're absorbed in the music. 

I'm glad I was helpful in your speaker purchase decision. Being the first one to get the DI's it was difficult describing what I was hearing as I couldn't believe what I was hearing from a speaker of this price. I had no one to compare my findings with for a while and find it rewarding that others are experiencing the same enjoyment from the DI's as I. If nothing else it demonstrates that I'm not totally crazy hearing what I heard! I'm really looking forward to Terry Londons review of the DI's coming out tomorrow. 
Funny you ask corelli as I've been using Jim Smiths room techniques this weekend to really dial in my listening position and speaker placement. My room is 13.5'x17.5' with a 6' opening between and behind the speakers opening into a 13.5'x7' room that houses the components. Ceilings are low at 7.5'. I have 2'x2' floor to ceiling bass traps in each corner with quite a bit of room treatments throughout. Right now my speakers are 64" on center with my listening position 77" from tweeter to ear. Toe in has back of speaker 3.75" further from center line than front of speaker. Both speakers are perfectly level to one another. Without trying to the speakers are nearly one third into the room with the listening position nearly one third from the back wall. I guess the one third rule does work! I could continue with some further adjustments in the 1/4-1/2" range but I'm happy with where everything is now. Sidewall to sidewall soundstage that is deep, a warm and thick center with gorgeous tone, beautiful bass, airy highs and the speakers simply disappear. My work is done! 

Having gone through hours of "working the room" it was worth it but the sound is not greatly improved from what it was as I had things laid out pretty well before and Tekton speakers aren't fussy about placement. They will sound very good in just about any situation, I just like getting that last last bit more out of them. 

Should you wish you can check out pics of the room in my virtual system page. The speakers are no longer toe'd in as much as in the pics though. 

Time me to listen to some Holly Cole and then watch March Madness.....GO BLUE! GO STATE! 
teajay, I must admit that ever since getting the DI's I've been listening to a lot more live music. These great speakers have the uncanny ability of placing you at the venue. I can't wait to add the LTA MZ2-S and ZOTL 40 to my system to make it even more real sounding. I just ordered The Cure to add to my collection. Here are some very well recorded live albums others might like: 

Holly Cole: Steal The Night
Cowboy Junkies: Trinity Revisited
The Wailin' Jenny's: Live at the Mauch Chunk Opera House
Morgan James: Live
 Nils Lofgren: Acoustic Live 

I look forward to reading your DI review tomorrow.

Great observation corelli, I have no idea how the new patent works but your explanation makes a lot of sense. I thought the pre patent Tektons sounded great but the DI is so differant from the Enzo there were too many variables for me to attribute any specific improvement to the new patent. The 7 tweeter array while unconventional is amazing. Maybe future DI's will have a super tweeter in the middle like the 1812. 
Sure it can get better corelli.....the Spartans could win also! Great win for UofM.

The new Enzo's have the same 7 tweeter array, a great choice if you don't the space for the DI's.

Giantsalami, I was told by Eric that the DI is much more refined than the Pendragon. He said the DI blows the Pendragon away but that doesn't mean the Pendragon might not be preferable to you. If you look at teajay's post above he doesn't like the Pendragon but loves the DI. I'm surprised by that as the Pendragons have been widely praised for years. I can say I had the Enzo's before getting the DI's and while I thought the same Enzo's were amazing the DI takes things to a whole new level. 
Have you heard the DI's audioman58? I can understand the thinking that by adding more expensive parts will lead to better sound but my experience doesn't bear that out. I can honestly say the DI sounds markedly better than much more expensive speakers I've owned with more expensive parts. How a speakers parts work with one another to produced the speaker designers desired sound is most paramount. Eric seems to have mastered that and I would suggest listening to a pair before suggesting improvements. Low level detail is a strong point of the DI's. Don't take my word for it, read Terry Londons review of them.....the link is posted on the previous page.....or better yet listen to some. If you're ever in the Detroit are you're welcome to here mine. 
I couldn’t agree more with Terry Londons accessment of the DI’s. While I was somewhat able to describe their attributes in audiophile terms, I could quite articulate their innate way of making music sound......for lack of a better term.....right. Terry described their "aliveness" and the perfect term. Many thought I was crazy for displacing my Legacy Focus SE’s ( $12k retail) from my system with the Di’s but that’s nothing compared to Terry doing so with his $18k Cello’s. The DI’s simply defy convention and I believe they would actually garner more attention and respect if they were priced $20k plus. I’m thrilled they’re not as I wouldn’t be able to afford what they bring to my musical enjoyment. All I need now are the Linear Tube Audio MZ2-S and ZOTL 40 to get the most out of them. Thanks for so eloquently putting into words what I’ve been hearing the last six months, Terry.
Charles,
Their low pricing has made some not consider Tekton speakers as conventional wisdom dictates they can't sound as good as speakers costing many times more. I took a leap of faith based on professional and owner reviews and haven't looked back.  I purchased the DI's thinking they'd be my home theater speakers and my Legacy Focus SE's my two channel speakers. After listening to both it was evident the DI's warranted being my top speakers in my two channel system. My ONLY disappointment is that they probably aren't the best speaker for a small SET amp and I was hoping to go in that direction, but the LTA amp might scratch that itch. 

Jetter, Eric Alexander suggested going with the Brilliance if you're looking for a physically smaller speaker. I believe he posted that on this thread a couple of pages back if you want to read his entire reply. I would suggest checking out the new update Enzo 2.7's. I had the old version Enzo's and loved them, the new ones with the seven tweeter array should be better yet. Having said that the DI's will work fine in a smaller room unless you physically can't fit them in. 
Convert a room to a dedicated music room! I know it's not that simple but it's the best audio investment I've made. When I had the DI's, and the Legacy Focus SE's before them, in my family room they were bigger than the wife would have liked but she got used to it. On the other hand putting the Enzo 2.7's in your family room and giving them more room might be best. You can convert another room into a dedicated music room and get the DI's at a later date 😜
Thanks for the clarification Eric. With your new PMD line the talk of an upgraded DI was a little confusing. A Double Impact SE? Very intriguing. Please keep us posted. 
Glad you're enjoying them mofojo. Your impressions are spot on, thanks for sharing. 

FWIW lowrider, the DI's would sound just fine in your room. My room is only slightly larger at 13x17......but it is heavily treated. Bass traps would probably be needed most. The Enzo's would also work, but the DI's would be amazing. 
Speaking of enjoying music through the DI's, thanks for mentioning Keith Jarrett teajay. I bought his " At Th Blue Note" box set, "The Cure" and "The Melody at Night, With You". Great stuff! 
corelli........join the club. Buying the DI's was just the beginning. Since getting mine every single improvement made to my system has been clearly portrayed by the DI's and can only imagine what adding the LTA MZ2-S and ZOTL 40 will bring. Like you my system is sounding so good right now I hesitate to change a thing, but I just have to try the LTA pre and amp. teajay's reviews along with numerous LTA owners personal appraisals have me convinced they will bring out the best the DI's have to offer, especially from those that previously owned the same amp I'm now using. I'll be ordering them soon and something tells me you'll be ordering the MZ2-S before long 🔉😀
While this thread, and many others here, is very informative......it's also quite enabling! Not that most of us needed much encouragement to pursue new equipment. Me thinks there's definitely a LTA MZ2-S in corelli's future ......and in mine. Like you corelli I need to recover from Uncle Sams bill first. Hopefully the LTA pre and amp with the DI's will give me a system I can be happy with for many years. I envy Charles and his not needing to look any further for musical bliss. We might be getting close to that corelli! 

Good call baranyi.......for too many years I listened for audiophile sound effects instead of for realism in music. The DI's, PS Audio Perfectwaves and Cerious GE cables have taken me a good deal of the way towards that realism and I'm confident the MZ2-S and ZOTL 40 will get me all the way there.

Hey Lance, thanks to all of your great input and advice in pointing me towards the LTA gear. Not only do I like supporting overachieving and affordable products like LTA and Tekton but the fact they are made here in America by passionate music lovers is icing on the cake. 
An integrated LTA? That's very intriguing. Please keep us posted if you find anything further out. 
I was going to go with the soundofthecity outriggers but went with Herbie Audios Giant threaded gliders instead. Great isolation, stability and easy to move and level. Sounds similar to the feet you're using corelli. Great minds think alike! You took it a step further with outriggers AND isolation feet. I might have to copy that idea.
Sounds like you're getting the same color I have teajay.....Mercedes Diamond Black. The metal flake is quite subtle and can only be seen with good lighting. It's a cool color. 

Lance, that's exactly the type of floor mine are on. I initially used the Mapleshade Heavyfeet spikes but wanted something that would allow moving the speakers easier so I went with the Herbie Audio Giant Threaded Gliders. It's the first time I've gone from coupling the speakers to the floor to isolating them from it. Can't say there's a sonic benefit either way, but it sure is a lot easier moving the speakers with the gliders. 
Mike,

please se keep us posted on your LTA MZ2-S / DI SE prototype combination. I have the the DI's and love them and will be getting the MZ2-S and ZOTL 40 as soon as I'm able. Being able to drive the DI's with just the MZ2-S until I can get the ZOTL 40 is very intriguing. Any idea what sound levels you're able to obtain with it? You're a distributor for LTA? A trip to Chicago might be warranted to hear them together. I don't imagine you have any MZ2-S's available for sale?

very much looking forward to Terry's comparison between the DI and DI SE. I find it difficult to believe they will be much better but if they are I'll be ordering a pair from you.

Thanks for for your updates.
David,

Both Terry and Michael have given you excellent advise on speaker placement. Sounds like you have things pretty well worked out. For me about 5 1/2' apart has worked best with my listening position about 6 1/2' back. I was quite surprised having them that close together ended up being ideal in my room. I started about 7' apart and moved them in 6 inches at a time until the speakers totally disappeared. I then moved them in 1" increments until they sounded best to me. I like Herbie Audio Giant Threaded Gliders under the speakers.....quite stable, sound great, very easy to level and move the speakers. They will sound very good placed just about anywhere but if you can give them room from the back and side walls they will reward you. Bass traps can really be helpful along with some diffusion at the first reflection points on the walls, floor and ceiling. Your wife will be rolling her eyes about now :)

bradcor, compared to the Legacy Focus SE's I found the DI's to be much more dynamic, less bright and the bass as good, if not better. That's saying a lot as the Legacys have some impressive bass to them. The Legacys highs may have been a bit airier but the DI's tonal balance was more to my liking. Both speakers are seemless from top to bottom. I fully expected the Legacys to be my two channel speakers with the DI's going into my theater system. After a couple of days of going between the two it was readily appearant that the DI's belonged in my dedicated listening room and I sold the Legacys. This isn't a knock against the Legacys, it's just that the DI's are THAT good. 
Mike of Audio Archon,

The Tektons must have the threaded spike holes filled or bass will escape through them and as you found out they don't sound very good. I made the same mistake with my first pair as it's easier moving them without the spikes. That's why I like the Herbies threaded gliders.

Please tell me what LTA gear you have available to audition. I'd like to hear the MZ2-S, ZOTL 10 and ZOTL 40......or two ZOTL 40's as Monoblocks! I'd be willing to make the trip from Detroit to Chicago to do so. 

Come me join the fun corelli, are you close to Chicago?
Thanks for the update teajay. Like Charles I'm surprised the 4 ohm DI's could be driven by 1 watt. I'll have to give it a try though. I find my 24 watt Decware to sound sublime for 95% of my listening but crave more volume for live recordings. Guess I could use the micro-ZOTL for most of my listening and either switch to the ZOTL 40 for those times I want more volume or forgo the ZOTL 40 all together and use my SS theater system for louder volume listening. Using only the micro-ZOTL would save me enough money for some sweet NOS tubes for it. This hobby never seems to lack for options!
Color me shocked......but I'm ordering a MZ2-S soon along with some NOS Tungsol Black Oval Plate 6SN7 tubes. Over 100 db? That's much louder than I need. Can you imagine a reference level pre/amp/speaker system for less than $6K total? Hopefully my PS Audio Perfectwave transport and DAC will suffice as reasonable good to get the most from the micro ZOTL/DI combo. 

Thanks again for sharing teajay, this is exciting!
Al,

youre a marvel. Thanks yet again for explaining something I couldn't previously conceive in a manner that I understand. 

Charles,

teajay mentioned he is using the holy grail of 6sn7 tubes. Maybe that accounts for him being able to drive the microZOTL to its extreme without any harsh results? Just a thought.

David,

I'm using the 1/4/20 giant gliders with 1 1/2 studs for greater lift off the carpeting and more distance for leveling as my basement floor isnt real level. No issues with the threaded studs entering the speaker cabinet.
Corelli,

i forgot got to mention that three of my favorite places in Michigan are in GR.

Founders
Vintage Tube Services
Meijer Gardens

Next time I head out there I'll let you know.....maybe you could help me use up some of my Founders gift card :)