Tekton Design Moab

Ordered a pair just now. In Dark Gray, to which Tammy immediately said, "Oh the Charcoal is beautiful!" Charcoal sounds better than Dark Gray (even though we are talking about the same color!) so Charcoal it is!  

My beloved Talon Khorus do still sound awfully good. It will be interesting to see how the Moabs stock out of the box compare with these tweaked and modded warhorses. Both the strength, and the weakness, of the Khorus is using the 10" woofer to cover so much midrange. Its a strength because it makes for a very smooth and cohesive sound. But its a weakness because its asking a lot of such a large driver to go so high. Talon makes up for it with their isobaric design. Mounted inside and directly behind the woofer is another identical driver facing the opposite direction. The idea is this relieves the front facing driver of having to compress the air inside the cabinet. This does allow for a much faster response, and is a big reason for the wonderful music the Khorus produces. 

I have a feeling however it is no match for Eric Alexander's ultra-low mass driver array solution. Only one way to know for sure. So we will just have to see!  

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 
128x128millercarbon
Well rix, let’s ask the man himself.
I will preface this with I don’t care where his drivers are made. If they serve his needs, what does it matter.
Eric Alexander of Tekton-
Might I inquire as to in what country your drivers are manufactured, particularly your tweeters?
There. Let’s wait for an answer. 

Yes and by claiming that your assumption regarding the drivers is correct and that Eric is "mistaken", that’s not calling him a liar. You’re helping to restore his credibility by sharing your (so far, unsubstantiated) opinion?

I see I’ve graduated from an accusation to an assumption.
I am not clear on the rest of your statement. Why in the world would I call him a liar? What has he allegedly lied about? Furthermore, Eric cannot be mistaken because he never said he didn’t use Chinese drivers. He said he didn’t use ’cheap’ Chinese parts, cheap being subjective. Note he never denied they came from China. Again, no big deal if they did. Doesn’t make them low quality. Many high quality products come from China. Why are you so hung up on this? And what events led him to lose his credibility as you say he needs to restore? I must have missed that conversation.
Say, while we’re waiting for an answer, why don’t you go up to the ’search discussions’ box and type in Tekton China. Do let us know what you come up with.
@thecarpathian - 10-4

millercarbon is upgrading the crossovers in his Moabs, as he’s stated.
In a recent discussion it was found that some of the crossover components didn’t measure quite what the markings indicated. This is usually the case, and specifications + or - (percentage) or a value is generally is given for engineering purposes as a tolerance value. Where these values vary and by how significant they make a difference is more profound depending where they are in the circuit.

Are there other forum members who have used any of the following devices to upgrade their speaker’s crossover: Erse FoilQ inductors? Path Audio resistors? Jantzen Alumen Zcap?

@millercarbon , three 1Ω resistors in parallel are 0.33Ω plus or minus depending on tolerances. As you lower the resistance in this case, by giving the current more paths, you will triple the amperes and therefore the wattage. Watts is a measurement of electrical work (to simplify), which is the voltage (electrical pressure or potential) multiplied by the electron flow volume (Amperes).

Resistors will make for the greatest improvement. Unless you haven't sealed the MDF from its own bad self.Tom
No worries Tom, I have a painter on the east coast, use only her hand-mixed Rustoleum. The metal flake is to die for. 

I will be using all Path Audio resistors. Caps are mostly Jantzen Alumen Zcaps with Deulund JDM Silver bypass caps. Erse inductors. Assuming I can even get this stuff. All the Erse inductors are backordered, and wouldn't surprise me if some of the caps are too.