Tandberg 3012 - Hot fins

Hello guys,

I recently stated using a vintage Tandberg 3012 integrated amp and noticed that the cooling fins located on the left side of the amp in the area of transistors (4 each) gets very hot (almost to hot to touch). The amp works great and sounds superb but I am wondering if this heat issue is normal or if it may later become a problem or is indicating that something is soon to fail. I used the amp this winter with a cooler room temperature and the heat in the reported area was definitely not as high. I just want to know if this is normal for this amp.

Thanks,
sympaticonorm

Showing 3 responses by rrog

It would be helpful to know what speakers you are driving with this amplifier. If your Tandberg 3012 is running hot I doubt you are driving Klipsch speakers at a moderate level. So, tell us what your speakers are and how many pairs of speakers you are driving at the same time.
I have owned a lot of Tandberg equipment over the years and some of their models can run quite warm. If it sounds good and the channels are balanced I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure there is plenty of ventilation and you should be ok. The amplifier's protection includes a thermo trip, which will operate if the temperature inside the amplifier rises above normal operating value.

Is the amplifier a 3012 or 3012A?
The 3.8s are 8 ohms and 88 db in a reflex cabinet. I wouldn't call that a tough load.