Starter turntable and MM cartridge recommendations

My daughter and her husband are putting together their first system.  They are wanting to build their system around vinyl, but are on a limited budget, with something like $700-$1000 allocated for that table and a MM cartridge.  They will be using the internal MM phono preamp on a Lyngdorf 2170 integrated.  A used table is fine.
brownsfan
I don't have any advice about your old tt, but if you're kids are just getting into it, I recommend them buying new from a dealer, so they will have someone to call and discuss any technical issues should they arise.  And they will.
Rega turntables are pretty close to plug and play, which is ideal for someone just starting out.  There isn't much to fiddle around with, and most reviews are positive.  
Pioneer PLX1000 ($699 and free shipping from various online sellers like American Musical Supply) and a Grado MI cartridge ($79 and up). I bought one when I wanted to add a new TT to my collection of vintage TTs. Mine has a Denon 103R mc cartridge on it ($349). You can read Herb Reichert's review in the Stereophile archives.
Thanks to all who have responded so far.  I do think that which ever table she ends up buying, it does make some sense to buy new from a dealer who can offer guidance.  I've been out of the vinyl game for so long I'm not much use to her on this particular issue.