speakers to mate with Fisher 500c receiver?

Hello all!
I'm almost ready to get back a vintage Fisher 500c that's being completely restored with Jim McShane supplied parts (power supply and audio path). And at 35 watts per channel I'm anxious to see how it'll sound with my Vandersteen 2ce's (not the most efficient). So this question may be a bit premature, but I'm curious as to what others have driven with a 500c? I have to say I'm intrigued with the Zu Druids and the Gallo 3.1s (only read about both of them), but not sure the Gallos would match well, being more power hungry. Anyone have either of these in the Tucson, AZ, vicinity? Would love to thear them for myself. And of course I'm interested in anything else that might be a good match. Thanks for any advice. BTW, I play mostly digital through an Eastern Electric Minimax tube output CDP.
lincnabby
i have hooked up my rebuilt fisher 500c to a pair of Marantz hd880s.with separate controls for the midrange,tweeter and super tweeter I can virtually dial in perfectialy anything I play,fm,taped.vinyl.these speakers were designed by the legendary   ED MAY who moved to Marantz from jbl where he designed the l-100  l-88 and other high end jbl speakers.his Marantz hd series speakers are just as good or better with the 880s able to handle 250 watts.listening to vintage, clean vinyl thru a set of 880s or 930 special design Marantz is something to behold.these come up on ebay from time to time,grab them if ya can,BEAUTIFUL,SOLID,EXCELLENT SPEAKERS.i have seen either series as low as 300.00 up to 1000.00.  jim2495050
why not go with a pair of speakers that were contemporaries of the 500c. I would match the 500c with a pair of AR-3a's or JBL L100's...both outstanding speakers in their day (and pretty darn good even today).
The best Value by far would be the AV123's Pair of X-Statiks, an a X-Voce center speaker and a Free Wood Tech CC-12 Stand for $1300. 90.5db@8 ohms
Great feedback so far. I appreciate all of your thoughts and I'm nowing researching your suggestions.
BTW, I'm hoping to possibly sell the Vandy's and then spend around $1500 or less on replacement speakers. Monitors or floorstanders are both a possiblity.
Thanks again, and keep the suggestions comining please!
On a budget, Find a pr of Snell EII's For under 400 the best speaker you can buy

Not on a budget Audio Note!
Living Voice Auditorium works excellent with vintage amplfiers. I used a Scott LK150 and Dynaco MKIII 60 watt monos and the the sound was fabulous. Highly recommended.
I use B&W cdm 1nts with my 400, soundstage/air is very good in a 12x18 room although a subwoofer would help.
I used to have the Fisher 500b and mate it with Klipsch Heresy II..Deep bass...but sold both and upgrade to Mc.
Reference 3A "MM DeCapo", you can find a used pair for about $1200.00 or so depending on age. Good Luck!
The Vandersteen won't be a good match. They will play but not with alot of volume and control. The bass will be flabby.
Good speaker and lovely vintage receiver but not an ideal match.

Wendell