Should a reference speaker be neutral, or just great sounding?

I was thinking about something as I was typing about how I've observed a magazine behave, and it occurred to me that I have a personal bias not everyone may agree to.  Here's what I think:
"To call a speaker a reference product it should at the very least be objectively neutral."

However, as that magazine points out, many great speakers are idiosyncratic ideas about what music should sound like in the home, regardless of being tonally neutral.

Do you agree?  If a speaker is a "reference" product, do you expect it to be neutral, or do you think it has to perform exceptionally well, but not necessarily this way?
erik_squires
How do you define neutral?  How do you rally know if what you think is neutral really is neutral?  What exactly is neutral.  What is great sounding?  How do you know if what you are hearing is because of the speaker or another piece of equipment?  Every piece of equipment has an impact on the sound.  So IMO this is just a big waste of time. Who cares as long as you enjoy your system that is what really matters. 
I have always thought that when a reviewer called a speaker neutral it was kind of a back handed complement. They have to say something nice. If a speaker makes me smile and want to listen to music and does not hurt my ears and does not put me to sleep then I like it. 
'Reference.'
'Neutral.'

Hmmm...probably 2 of the words that have spawned more posts, prose, positions, posturing, and downright donneybrooks imho in the relatively short time I've skulted about 'here'.  That is, IF we ignore IC's, speaker cables, equipment choices/pairings, listening spaces and their acoutrements, and whatever else one applauds or takes issue on....

Which just shows to go you that the likelyhood of coming to anything resembling a universally satisfactory acknowledgement of an 'average agreement' will rank with genus homo finally becoming 'wise' as opposed to merely 'smart'....which generally falls short, anyway....

(The 'Second Coming' will likely occur within moments...and will likely be 'self inflicted', because we tend towards 'self fullfilling prophecies'.  We dislike being disappointed.....)

Since this can of worms has been dumped out for yet another rant 'n rave fest for some to enjoy, others to steam over, some to run from, and whatever boats ones' floats in whatever fashion...

REFERENCE = The 'speaker du jour' that excites the senses of the 'cognoscenti'; size, price, feeding requirements be damned.

NEUTRAL = An unattainable laboratory radiator.  Absolutely 'guage block' FLAT, 1 hz>ultrasonic, 1dB>comet impact.  The 'point source' that's Perfect in every way.  Proven by any means and methodlogy concievable, in every combination.

We will never hear nor achieve it.  Get over it.

We're organic beings with a limited lifespan, flawed from Day One.

Likely unable to recognize Perfection even if it announced itself, however subtle or extreme....

I just 'do' what amuses me; likely, y'all do something similar. *s*

At this point....I'm just going 'radio silence', and watch the splatter patterns on the virtual walls....

Have @ it... ;)

Cheers 'n jeers, J