RCA to XLR - How bad are the current crop of adapters ?

Hey all. I own a pair of mono amplifiers with female xlr inputs. Needing to go from single ended output ( rca ), into these, understanding this will not be a balanced signal ( do not care about that ). Should I have a pair of cables made ( I can make them as well ), or, will male xlr to female rca adapters be ok, in sq ? Do not want to spend big bucks, as this might be temporary ( trying the amplifiers out ). Any experiences with this situation are appreciated. If it matters, a 1 meter length is what I am dealing with, I want clean sq, and prefer some silver in my ics. Thank you all, in advance. Enjoy ! MrD.
mrdecibel
Cardas makes the best. They have a Clear version and a regular version. They are $120 and $200 a pair. Expensive, but they are the best. The cheap adapters are different degrees of crap.
Hi MrD,

FWIW, if it were me I would perform the assessment of the amps using either the Neutrik adapter Jtcf suggested, or a similarly priced adapter offered by B&H Photo Video under their pro-oriented house brand "Comprehensive."

Consistent with Bob’s suggestion just above, if I decided to keep the amps I would then purchase a pair of single-channel Jensen transformers, which would convert each of the unbalanced signals into a pair of true balanced signals. The cost would be roughly $300 for the transformers plus the cost of a pair of very short XLR cables, assuming you already have suitable RCA cables having the necessary length.

I’ve used the Comprehensive adapters with fine results, btw, although in conjunction with a couple of relatively non-critical sources (a vintage Tandberg 3004 cassette deck and a vintage REL Precedent FM tuner, both of which are very highly regarded albeit within the limitations of their respective formats).

Finally, if by any chance the amps happen to be Audio Research models, be aware that many of their amps which are fully balanced **and which provide only XLR inputs** will not work properly if provided with unbalanced inputs via adapters or adapter cables.

Best regards,
-- Al