Putting weights on speakers?

IME, putting 20 lb ankle weights on my 150 lb speakers greatly tightened and improved the bass and sound overall. Only problem is that the wife hates it... 
mglik
Hmm...my speakers weight more than 400 lbs. each.  I think adding weight would just turn my spikes into nails that I'd never get out.....
I mass loaded my old pair of ProAc EBS out of necessity, as they are just the right height to support a one-inch piece of plywood used as a large display table beneath the windows in our bedroom. The table holds a heavy 28" brass Buddhist statue and a collection of fluorescent rocks at one end and displays some of my tungsten element collection and more rocks at the other. Having the ProAcs on the floor eliminates any chance of imaging, of course, and the bass is now unfortunately exaggerated, but the speakers still fill the room with beautiful music, and the subwoofer I had intended to add to the system ten years ago sits unopened in its box. The added mass improved the sound of the ProAcs overall (with the noted exception of the additional bass boost), and they admirably support the makeshift table. :-)
I know a dealer who has the same ProAc D48 that I have and he has puts some gym bumper plates on them. Instead of doing that, I changed the footers to make the speaker sound better, albeit at a higher price.
A friend bought lead shot. Put 50 pounds on each speaker. He had someone sew velvet bags the fit that space exactly. He is pleased. 
Mike Lenehan of Lenehan Audio developed this same technology maybe 10 years ago and eventually sold it to ETI. Some of you may know who Keith Eichman ETI research?

@mglik I have had them for some years now, and it's well established technology.

Springs under the speakers with "toppers" as Mike calls them makes for good cabinet resonance control and as noted, better bass.

https://www.stereo.net.au/news/eti-and-lenehan-audio-team-up-amg-topper