Puritan 136 vs 156 for simple system

I am looking at these two options for a fairly simple two channel system. My set up is:

Musical Fidelity A1

Gustard R26 DAC

Eversolo A6 Streamer

What I am wondering here is would it really be worth it to upgrade to the 156 over the 136?

128x128temmple

@temmple - I actually have both. I started with the 136 and ended up buying the 156 too. Firstly, the Puritan product up-leveled my musical enjoyment in both of my systems. They are both solid products. 

For your system, listed above, I think a 136 would be great. The 136 gets you 90% there. The upgrade to the 156 is there, but subtle, and I think most folks would be absolutely happy with its sonic impact, while saving some money too. 

And later down the road I can upgrade to the Ultimate mains cable from them. 

My opinion - instead of dumping cash into power conditioner, upgrade your dac. Install a dedicated line if possible and add better power cords. In this order.
A power conditioner isn’t going to magically transform this system.

I had PSM156 and much prefer my components connected direct to wall outlets.

The 2 Puritan products mentioned are definitely worth your consideration, but I would agree with Audphile1 re: upgraded PC's (if you haven't already of course). IMHO it's worth investing in to the network side of things: dedicated network switch, streaming and USB cable, or whatever you're using to connect your A6 to your Gustard, maybe a network filter such as those from Network Acoustics.

I have a streaming only system, and while I do have the PSM156, upgrading the network aspects of my system gave me a more tangible improvement. As always, your mileage may vary, as will others'. 

@temmple I’ll go back and expand on my original suggestion…

You have an $1800 integrated amp and a $1600 DAC. A $2200 power conditioner, upgraded cables or any tweaks be it network or vibration control is putting the cart in front of the horse.
Once again - start by upgrading the DAC. Next I would upgrade the amp. Source is critical. Amplification is critical. Don’t know what speakers you’re using.

Forget power conditioner or cables or network stuff. Not a worthwhile investment in the context of this system. Take your time and tackle it from the components perspective first so you can hear the real difference when you spend your money.

Thanks for the great input so far. I have upgradded my cables and most everything in my system minus putting in a dedicated network switch and already have plans for that. I might just try and find a used 136 as its more inline with the cost of my system. Any input on a good semi budget friendly power distribution/filtering block would be much appreciated. Around $500- $1000

Also the reason why I am looking into changing out my power setup is I am currently running an older Panamax 5500 AC regen unit and I am thinking that is probably hurting my setup more than helping it. 

Thinking maybe I should just get a solid power distribution block for a lot less money. Wisdom Cable Technology seems to make a really nice one.

I have to disagree with @audphile1 about upgrading your DAC unless you are prepared to spend $4500 on a used Holo May KTE it is unlikely you will actually hear any significant improvement over the R26 with a lesser DAC.  If you want to upgrade the digital side buying an LHY OCK-2 external clock is absolutely going to improve the R26 just make sure you use at least an LMR400UF BNC cable with it.  But in general the R26 is an excellent DAC for its price and the A6 isn't bad either and yes I have owned both.  But I do agree with him that it is unlikely you will get any significant benefit with a power conditioner given the level of the rest of your system.  Do you live in an urban apartment where you have reason to believe the power is dirty?

I don't think you said what your speakers were?  Better speakers are usually the most bang for the buck in any system.  Then room treatments, then the amplifier.  

@pinwa there are DACs under $3500 that would provide an upgrade over R26. Chord Hugo TT2, Bricasti M3, PS Audio DirectStream, possibly the new and highly praised LAiV Harmony…just to name a few. 

With all due respect…upgrading network components in that system and adding a high end network switch is like installing an ejection seat on a helicopter. 

Here’s a power strip recommendation for OP…

Pangea

The ejection seat in the helicopter comment had me rolling!

I am currently using CSS 1TDX for speakers. I am leaning towards a higher end, power distribution block. This one to be exact.

I am also upgrading the network while I’m doing this because I do not have a switch currently and will be installing a decent midgrade one with LPS. 

@audphile1 Have you listened to any of the DACs you mentioned and compared them directly to the R26?  I have compared the R26 directly to the Eversolo A6, A8, ANK 4.1x LE, PS Audio Directstream MK2, Berkeley Audio Alpha Reference 2 MQA, and Holo May KTE.  And before the R26 I had the Denafrips Ares II, Pontus II, Gustard X26.  I am telling you two things.  One is that differences in DACs are small and listening for them can drive you crazy.  Most people don't have the ability to closely level match and compare using identical cables etc. etc.. so opinions are highly suspect.  Two is that the R26 is an excellent DAC.  I prefer the Berkeley Ref 2, Eversolo A8 and Holo May KTE to the R26 but I prefer the R26 to all the other DACs I mentioned. Even so, that preference is not dramatic since all modern DACs are basically pretty competent.  Some of the DACs you mentioned may be slightly better than the R26 but DACs are the last place the OP should be spending his money.

@temmple you are listening on $775 kit speakers and you are wondering whether you should be upgrading your power supply?  I think you don't understand what is really going to make the biggest difference in your system.  I don't know much about standmount/bookshelf speakers but the first thing I would do with your system is replace your speakers.

Lol injecting some humor always helps. Now we’re on the same page as far as power conditioner and network tweaks go in that system. 

@temmple - Our fellow posters are making a lot of sense. For me, the Puritan was a final touch, final edit purchase. I’d labored over my selection of components and felt everything else had been dialed in. 

Finding the speakers that deliver the sound you want is mission number one in my book. 

The speakers in question top many $5-10k speakers. I have a very well balanced system I just want to find a good power solution in the price range mentioned above. Power distribution with light filtering would be nice.  Was wanting input on power options. I know how to piece together a two channel setup. This would be my budget system and sounds pretty amazing for the price.

The Puritan 136 has surge protection too.

if your AC has DC noise you’ll sense an improvement for sure.

no regrets on my 2 Channel digital only system

Don't waste your money on the Puritan......The new ANSUZ MAINS 8 has Tesla Coils and is in a whole different league. I have one. . My system's musicality and Realism has taken a big jump forward( Very noticeable) since it entered my system. AGD is way ahead of the competition on many fronts (Borresen, Aavik, ANSUZ ) call Mike at Hi Fi Loft in NYC.

I have looked at the Ansuz Mainz8 but its a bit out of my price range from what I can see. 

Then the Puritan 156 would work.....Call Mike and talk to him. Very knowledgeable.

OP: What I am wondering here is would it really be worth it to upgrade to the 156 over the 136?

I'll stay within that parameter.  I've the 156 and it is terrific.  Upgraded the power cord to Furutech 4.1 which made an uncanny improvement.  Not that you need go so extreme, but upgrading the stock cable will garner improvement.  Good luck.

@temmple - As an aside, I was finally able to find a used ultimate power cable. I was expecting a minor but worthy upgrade. I was wrong. As soon as I replaced the classic power cable with the ultimate version, my system sounded more expansive, more detailed, and with better base. 

Keep checking this site and US Audiomart. They come up there every so often. Easy to pick one up at a discounted price. 

Puritan 136 would be a solid ground for any future upgrades, i have the 156 for few months and i can say that i can't listen to my setup without it anymore , separation and clean background improvement is very clear after months of use, One thing i did, is changing the Puritan power cable, it was too much of filtration for my taste, Puritan is a very good investment for the long run.

Had a person offer up one for sale on the other site and it was a scammer :((

Still on the hunt for a used 136. What do these typically go for on the uses market?

The last price hike kind of messed up the used market.

@temmple - They pop up on USaudiomart every so often. I think you should be able to get a 136 for around $1300. 

Look at the power conditioner section right underneath power cables. Not sure why, but they don’t appear on Audiogon often.