Puritan 136 vs 156 for simple system

I am looking at these two options for a fairly simple two channel system. My set up is:

Musical Fidelity A1

Gustard R26 DAC

Eversolo A6 Streamer

What I am wondering here is would it really be worth it to upgrade to the 156 over the 136?

128x128temmple

Showing 5 responses by bluethinker

@temmple - I actually have both. I started with the 136 and ended up buying the 156 too. Firstly, the Puritan product up-leveled my musical enjoyment in both of my systems. They are both solid products. 

For your system, listed above, I think a 136 would be great. The 136 gets you 90% there. The upgrade to the 156 is there, but subtle, and I think most folks would be absolutely happy with its sonic impact, while saving some money too. 

@temmple - Our fellow posters are making a lot of sense. For me, the Puritan was a final touch, final edit purchase. I’d labored over my selection of components and felt everything else had been dialed in. 

Finding the speakers that deliver the sound you want is mission number one in my book. 

@temmple - As an aside, I was finally able to find a used ultimate power cable. I was expecting a minor but worthy upgrade. I was wrong. As soon as I replaced the classic power cable with the ultimate version, my system sounded more expansive, more detailed, and with better base. 

Keep checking this site and US Audiomart. They come up there every so often. Easy to pick one up at a discounted price. 

@temmple - They pop up on USaudiomart every so often. I think you should be able to get a 136 for around $1300. 

Look at the power conditioner section right underneath power cables. Not sure why, but they don’t appear on Audiogon often.