MLAS 436 shipping carton?

I have a MLAS 436 amp that 'finds' a "mains fault" and shuts down, no matter which household circuit it is connected to ... after several years of faultless operation.  Unfortunately, the nearest service locations are 900 to 1800 miles away, and I have no shipping cartons (bought them without).  Worse still, Levinson does not have any for sale.

I have found one shop that will sell me a carton, but they deem it to be in such bad shape as to be unshippable except by freight (which costs a bundle).  The prospect of building a carton from the materials I can find @ the local Home Depot is daunting at best.

Might one of you owners of this amp (1) have such a carton, (2) be willing to sell it or loan it for a fee?

Many thanks in advance!

Gene Rankin / Madison, WI

128x128generankin

My advice to you is this:  Make the road trip.  First of all, freight and insurance now is horribly expensive.  I had to ship my speakers from CA to NY and I had to make the boxes as mine decomposed over the years.  I spent a total of $6800 in freight, insurance, and shipping materials to get them there.   For me, if they were destroyed in freight, the company can simply build new ones for me as they are still in production so I insured them for replacement costs.  Note, I had to ship two crates as one crate would be too heavy and too big for FedEx or UPS and truck freight would not insure them.

However, in the case of my two Conrad Johnson Premier Fives Monoblocks, I have another problem besides no shipping containers.   If one of them gets destroyed I am out of luck, as they are no longer available.   I can't insure them for replacing with something current, as that would constitute fraud.   I could make an argument of basing it on $/Watt compared to a new one, but if only one is destroyed, I am still out nearly #30,000 assuming the insurance actually paid for the amplifier.   Best bet, either drive them cross country or have them serviced by someone reputable and local.   

That leaves the last problem - how does one determine they are reputable and if they are, will they do a good job on what is today a pair of $30,000+ amplifiers?

The good news in all this is good quality equipment like this is serviceable, whereas other expensive lesser brands may not be serviceable, even though they also carry that big price tag.  

PS:  I forgot to mention that any MLAS box you get for your amps will likely be in a similar decomposed state - those boxes aren't getting any younger. 

I never thought about this, but the best way to preserve them is painting them with a clear polyurethane varnish.  It will stop the decomposition from time and moisture but I really don't know if it will affect the ability of the box to protect the unit from shipping.  Given the weight of this stuff, that is a consideration indeed.

@generankin 

Hi Gene,

I sent a couple of amp UPS and had them pack them. Because they packed them, the had to stand by their work. Per my instructions , they doubled boxed them. I also got a few thousand in insurance, just in case. They made it 500 miles to get some upgrades and made it 500 miles back FedEx, but in the same boxes.

All the best.

Speakers don't do so well with shipping.

Both times I've shipped or received speakers (both times double boxed), the speakers or the boxes or both got damaged.

Same results with UPS and Fedex.

That is true about having UPS pack them so they will guarantee it.  I forgot about that expensive feature - they charge a lot of money for that.  In the case of the CJ Premier Fives, what do you do when they hand you a check for the insurance and you are $30,000 short of replacement amplifiers?   I have no problem insuring them for retail if the model is still available, but retail for a newer, replacement model?  I think I would want that in writing from someone who can authorize that kind of insurance.

The road trip advice makes sense.  I might be in luck, for Milwaukee is a 90 minute drive, Chicago is a 3 hour drive, and my daughter lives in the Twin Cities (~4 hours away).  The "might be in luck" depends on the results of  the search, now on for a tech recommended by a local high-end retailer.  Had I gone the tube route for audio (my guitar amps are tube), I'd have really been in luck, for the Twin Cities are awash in folks who know their way around tube gear.  Maybe (when the amp is in good health) the time has come to look into used Audio Research gear.