Marantz SA-10

I currently own a Modwright Marantz SA-8005. Its has some upgrades including a WyWires umbilical and SR Purple fuse. Its a great player but I'm considering some system upgrades and the Modwright outboard PS will be an issue. The plan was to move to either an Esoteric/Luxman unit but after doing some research another possible candidate might be a Marantz SA-10. Has anyone had a chance to compare the SA-10 with the Modwright SA-8005? Would the SA-10 be and upgrade or just a sideways move? As always your feedback is appreciated.

cmach

@cmach thanks for the circle back!  I still I have my Modwright and will be comparing it to the Luxman D-07x when it is is broken in.  My other thought was a Holo May KTE dac with a PS audio transport, but I'm trying to reduce my "boxes".  The true test is when I can bring the Luxman into my system for a direct A/B from the dealer.  Glad to hear your thoughts on the SA-10 and that is still in the mix.

Cmach congratulations make sure use the balance on SA10 ? It will shine more .

I had the PM-11s2/SA-11s2 combo and it is probably the best value in high end audio today.  Marantz doesn’t have the brand reputation that the esoteric brands like Accuphase or Luxman have, but they have economies of scale that Accuphase and Luxman lack as well.  So dollar for dollar, you are always getting more with Marantz!

I moved from the PM-11s2 to the PM-10 first.  What was tricky was that when measured into a resistor, the PM-11s2 outmeasured the PM-10 at low power and high frequencies.  Yet, when I listened, I liked the PM-10 more.  I thought it was sighted bias and seriously considered just sticking with the PM-11s2 but then I decided to try measuring the amplifiers with an actual speaker load instead of a resistor.  Now, the PM-10 out measured the PM-11s2 in critical midrange areas!  The PM-11s2 is so close to the PM-10 that it’s splitting hairs, but it does show that the PM-10 is a better sounding and better measuring unit but only when measured with an actual speaker load.

As a Class D design, the PM-10 actually has higher distortion for the ultrasonics.  I think this is what imparts the hybrid sound signature where it sounds clean but has a bit of warmth.

The SA-11s2 essentially measures flawlessly with its Seiko DAC when fed SACDs and I also really enjoy the red book CD.  I have purchased a SA-10 and I am not sure if the SA-10, which I have incoming next week will beat the SA-11s2 or not on the test bench, but it is insightful to hear that the the default Marantz settings are for the best sound as opposed to the best measurements.  Seeing what they did with the PM-10, I have high confidence in their work for the SA-10.

Last, the MA-9s1 is probably still the gold standard.   I recently saw an article which showed that the Marantz listening room when testing the B&W D4 was using the SA-10 with modified MA-9s1’s.  They were clear to point out that these weren’t factory units but instead units that had undergone additional modification by the Marantz sound master, Mr. Ogata.

goose

Nice score! on the Luxman D-07x.  I am really looking forward in reading about the comparison with Modwright 8005.  What Cables/Cords do you endorse?

Happy Listening!

Goose, congratulations on the D-07X! I think your going to be thrilled with it. I’ve heard nothing but great things about Luxman. Keep us updated please!

Jafant, my system consists of a Pass Labs XA30.8, Aric Audio Super 6SN7 (with upgrades done by Aric), Proac D-30R speakers, SR Power12 SE power conditioner, and a collection of WyWires and SR Galileo cables and power cords.

The addition of the SA-10 has been a revelation of sorts. I want to thank everyone for their input on this. I don't think I could have made this purchase with the same amount of confidence.

Cheers