looking pre tube for mc452

hi, im searching pre tube for my mc452
is conrad johnson et3 or AR good match ?

mati1979

Showing 5 responses by waxwaves

SS McIntosh preamps have a more full bodied sound compared to the Mc tube preamps if that is what you are after. 
A McIntosh tube preamp is the best match IMHO.  You have an awesome amp there...enjoy! 
I have used Mc and CJ preamps with Mc amps.  CJ should be warm and lush if that is the sound you want...ET-3 should work well output impedance wise.  BTW, the MC452 should respond very well to a good power cable.  This may help give you the performance you are looking for.  Well done ICs and speaker cable will have a major effect on that amp's performance as well IMO.  As always, YMMV.  Good Luck!
@mati1979 I think you'd have to try the CJ ET-3 with MC452 to hear for yourself whether or not it is what you are looking for.  Don't rule out trying SS McIntosh preamp, I never thought I would ever move away from a tube preamp until I heard a C42.  lastly, a good power cable on the MC452 IMO will allow the amp to perform at a much higher level.  Some may disagree, but my experience indicates otherwise.  I was recently amazed by what a Purist LE Contego power cable did for my system.  Expensive yes, but the increase in performance was amazing to me.