Just bought a Marantz PM6006, and it it disappointing

My vintage NAD7020 has been acting up, so I decided to get a Marantz PM6006 on sale.  Figured if I decide to upgrade later it could become part of the AV system.   I had no problems hooking up my Linn Axis turntable and ELAC Debut 6.2s.  But when I started playing music, I noticed the music was muddy and high pitched.  I tested on some jazz (Don Shirley “Tonal Expressions”), classical (Villa-Lobos “Bachianas Brasileiras, Nos. 4, 7”), Rock (The Grateful Dead “The Grateful Dead”) and P-Funk (Funkadelic “One Nation Under A Groove”).  The only song that sounded as good as I wanted was Laurie Anderson’s “O, Superman”, with its heavy synthesizer work.  Throughout each selection I noticed pronounced sibilance, and violin and harmonica were actually painful to listen to. Needless to say, I am extremely disappointed.

Granted, I am used to vintage (used) electronics, and I very much prefer the warm sound of the NAD.  So, is my ear just attuned to warmer sounds?  Or does the Marantz PM6006 need a burn-In period?  
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2x16f4
Chrissain,  Thank you.  I notice on searching through various blogs that the concept of burn in is controversial.  Not sure why, as it should be easily tested empirically. 

Philjolet, did your PM 8004 sound good right out the box?
I had the 6005 and while I liked it, it couldn’t drive my speakers well. It had the horsepower but not the torque.

I contemplated going to the 800x but went separates instead.

Leave it on. All the time. It helps. Mine was never off or on stand by.
Anyone with any listening skills whatsoever can hear the difference. I am going through that now with my Rogue m180 darks, just got them back a week ago from getting upgraded. They sounded kind of grainy and incoherent at first but after a week of constant playing they are smoothing out and sound way bigger and more open, and the bass has also gotten better. And it's not that I am getting used to the sound, it is absolutely changing for the better.