Just bought a Marantz PM6006, and it it disappointing

My vintage NAD7020 has been acting up, so I decided to get a Marantz PM6006 on sale.  Figured if I decide to upgrade later it could become part of the AV system.   I had no problems hooking up my Linn Axis turntable and ELAC Debut 6.2s.  But when I started playing music, I noticed the music was muddy and high pitched.  I tested on some jazz (Don Shirley “Tonal Expressions”), classical (Villa-Lobos “Bachianas Brasileiras, Nos. 4, 7”), Rock (The Grateful Dead “The Grateful Dead”) and P-Funk (Funkadelic “One Nation Under A Groove”).  The only song that sounded as good as I wanted was Laurie Anderson’s “O, Superman”, with its heavy synthesizer work.  Throughout each selection I noticed pronounced sibilance, and violin and harmonica were actually painful to listen to. Needless to say, I am extremely disappointed.

Granted, I am used to vintage (used) electronics, and I very much prefer the warm sound of the NAD.  So, is my ear just attuned to warmer sounds?  Or does the Marantz PM6006 need a burn-In period?  
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2x16f4

Showing 8 responses by 16f4

I have only been able to listen to the Marantz once since the first day (family visiting...) but it did sound a little less harsh. As soon as they leave I will go full test mode. I have 30 days to return it. Might just work on my old one, because even though it’s old I know I love it...at least, that’s what my wife says.
Chrissain,  Thank you.  I notice on searching through various blogs that the concept of burn in is controversial.  Not sure why, as it should be easily tested empirically. 

Philjolet, did your PM 8004 sound good right out the box?
Just came home from leaving it on all day.  I am noticing a slight improvement after 10 hours.   Deeper bass and less harsh treble.  The snare and bass of Mikes Davis’ “Seven Steps To Heaven” coming out.  Much deeper and wider sound stage.  The experiment continues. 
Well, I have been listening to the Marantz for over a week and am just not happy with it.  Maybe I’m impatient, or maybe I just don’t  like the Marantz Sound.  I really liked my old NAD 7020, and to me the difference between the NAD and Marantz is not to the Marantzs favor.  I want a line out to digitize my records, so that really limits the number of integrated amps I can consider.  I think I am just going to order a Cambridge Audio Topaz SR20 and cross my fingers.  
Well, got the Cambridge Audio Topaz SR 20 today and set it up.  Sounds good right out of the box, a lot like my old NAD 7020.  Guess I will keep it and enjoy.  Thanks all!
The SR 20 is really sounding great after about 50 hours.  I am very happy with my decision to return the Marantz PM 6006.  I was concerned about the complaints of build quality, but bought a refurbished unit direct from the company web site at a marked discount.  Maybe their QC is taking a hit, but my refurb unit is working quite well.  
Also, I just added a new Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge to my Linn Axis turntable.  Along with the ELAC Debut 6.2 speakers, my entire system seems to be performing incredibly.