JBL L110 Speaker Reconing

Hello, What would I have to do to recone my woofers on a pair of JBL L110s? Would it be more cost effective to DIY or send them out to get repaired?
128x128joeradio
I have never reconed a speaker.  I have watched a couple of you tubes and on those PARTICULAR (for emphasis) speakers on you tube it looked medium straight forward.  

But, I personally would not even slightly consider doing it myself.  Its just not all that expensive to have Millersound professionally do it.  I could manage to find a way to damage the speaker.  I would call Bill at Millersound, he is the go to person to have it done, and as mentioned they are very fair price wise.
If handy, you can do it. skills to scrape and not to cut yourself! you might need to solder two wires, see below. You, or a friend, normal solder iron, not close or tricky work.

I paid others first round, and did it myself 2nd round with kits I found on eBay.

I have done 3 woofers successfully. The hard part is scraping the old glue off the metal ring, nice and clean to glue new surround to. the important work is getting the voice coil centered, the kits and videos are terrific.

They give you the type of glue you need. importantly it’s drying rate is not too fast: designed to allow placement, refined positioning/centering, and firm enough to hold your chosen position after you let go, and then dry.

two types of repairs,

1. surround only. (outer flexible ring connecting the existing cone to the frame). I did that to my 12" velodyne sub-woofer (rubber surround rotted), cone ok. You remove the old surround from the cone with a chemical they give you. you scrape, the old glue off the metal ring. you glue the new surround inner edge to the cone, and outer edge to the metal ring. 

You keep the existing cone and it’s attached voice coil (covered by inner cone which is a dust cap). They have help regarding re-alignment of the voice coil (so it does not rub when moving). you press the cone in/it springs out, a few times, it centers itself doing this.

or

2. surround and cone. I did that to 2 of my 15" woofers: very old, cloth surrounds.

the cone could have holes (look closely for pin holes), tears, or the material could be old, dried out, needing replacement. They are: new cone with new voiice coil pre-attached, with new surround pre-attached, glue, and separate dust cap.

a. solder two wires from voice coil to speaker terminals.

b. glue pre-assembled cone/surround/voice coil to metal ring. refine alignment. last, glue dust cap over visible voice coil.

I’m very glad I tried it and did it myself, a lot of satisfaction as well as less money, and no shipping out/in cost time.

Whether you send them out or do it yourself is your call. If you decide to do it yourself, check out "Simply Speakers" on the internet. That’s probably what a repair shop will do. They also sell replacement raw speakers. I re-coned my 10" speakers a few years ago, but they weren’t JBLs. You might check out ebay for raw JBL woofers. My guess is you’ll find what you’re looking for.
I got a price from Millersound for $98.00 per pair for refoaming and $198.00 + shipping for reconing. I believe I would have them done for this price. Thanks for the info guys.