Japanese Audio

I've owned a few great low powered Japanese tube amps and wonder if anyone knows why this niche of low power class A and tube amps exists in Japan. Luxman, Leben, Airtight, Yamamoto, Almarro (no longer), SPEC, Accuphase to name a few. If your goal is building a low power amplifier, where does the inspiration come from? Did these brands spring up from western influence like other areas of Japanese culture or are there many unheard of Japanese high efficiency speakers?   
bjesien
Low powered amplifiers were born out of necessity as the average sized living space in Japan is less than 1,300 sq ft.  
I have a nice SET 2A3 amp with Tango iron MIJ. A Sanei  260A! Won at an eBay auction near Christmas a few years ago. Free shipping from Japan - included as a present from the seller!
I suspect that serious Japanese audiophiles like high efficiency speakers, including giant horn systems, because they sound much more lively at low volume levels than other types of speakers.  This is important in apartments with thin walls and in a culture where being polite and considerate of neighbors is important.  The natural consequence is a proclivity toward low-powered amps because they are the best sounding amps.  I own three a reasonably efficient speaker system (99 db/w) and three low-powered tube amps; the most powerful amp I own is rated at something like 8 w/ch, and my favorite amp does not even have a rating, although the builder guessed it puts out 5.5 w/ch.
It is important to note that this is not a unique thing to Japan.  There happen to be several Japanese brands but there are tons of others from outside of Japan.  

Art Audio, Sugden, KR, Canor, Audion, First Watt, Triode Labs, Raven, Sophia, First Watt, Wavelength are just a few I am thinking of off hand that produce the same type of amps in the US or Europe.