Isoacoustics Gaia Speaker Footers

Replacing the spikes in my Soundocity outriggers (Soundocity made me a set of outriggers with threaded holes) with the Isoacoustics Gaia 2 footers has improved the sound of my Merlin VSM speakers.  They now sound more open and articulate than with any combination of Z-feet or other spikes, with or without outriggers, on the floor or on a platform, that I've tried.  Like the Townshend products the Gaia footers completely decouple the speakers from the floor, allowing them to float.  See:

http://www.audiostream.com/content/isoacoustics-gaia-isolation-pucks#IVXH8EtVAjQdwbuj.97     

http://www.isoacoustics.com/products/gaia-series/gaia-i/

128x128cellcbern
Has anyone contacted Iso Acoustics by phone to hear what they have to say?
I have the GAIA 1’s with carpet spikes under my Sopra 2’s, although my speakers are sitting on carpet with no padding over a cement floor.

Before adding the carpet spikes the speakers sat very firmly to the floor and was difficult if not impossible to move.

The suggestion about putting a heavy granite type slab over the carpeted/padding is a good idea, then you wouldn’t need the carpet spikes.

ozzy

Hi all,

Is there a sonic benefit or cost to use a higher rated footer (gaia I) with a lighter weight speaker than what it's officially rated for? I want to get the ones that support the most weight so when I upgrade my speakers in the future with a heavier set the footers will be ok. Thanks!

Dave
@dvdboulet  If your current speakers are close to the spec'd limit for the IIs, I would move up to the GAIA I, regardless of future usage. In your case, since you are open to considering heavier speakers down the line, going with the GAIA I makes complete sense.

In the new Stereophile Art Dudley reviews two different IsoAcoustic footers, and says he prefers the GAIA to the Oreo under his Garrard 301. The GAIA is intended to be used with loudspeakers, the Oreo with components, but Art found the GAIA to provide more improvement with his table than did the Oreo. Since it comes with mounting studs in three sizes including the 1/4-20 used on the feet of VPI turntables, it occurred to me that the GAIA is a good candidate for use with those tables.

A set of four GAIA III (which support up to 70 lbs.) retails for $199, about half the price of four Townshend Audio Seismic Pods. The Pods are really good (I have them under my Townshend Rock Elite table), but for only $199 the GAIA is worth a try bolted onto my Aries 1, in place of the stock cone "isolation" footers. The parens is in recognition of the fact that cones (and spikes) are not isolators, they are couplers. Why that myth continues is a mystery to me! 

Geoff Kait's springs are also worthy of consideration, but for use under a turntable---which requires precise leveling---the height adjustability of the GAIA (via the threading on the studs) makes it ergonomically better.