If Audiophiles care about sound, then why so few threads on acoustics

... and so many on cables?

I am sure there are 10 if not 50 times more posts on cables too?

I would hope that as audiophiles we could agree that acoustics are far more important than cables. A cable may (or should) make a fraction of a db change. Acoustics can make several db changes (or more).  A cable may have some impact on clarity or soundstage (and many can rightfully debate that). Acoustics absolutely will have an impact on soundstage.

So what is the reason? 
  • Is it because acoustics are "hard", i.e. you really have to put some thought into it? 
  • Are acoustics not sexy enough? 
  • Is it because they are often unattractive?
  • Is it because they carry much in the way of bragging rights (at least with many audiophiles)?
  • Do they not provide enough "retail therapy"?
  • Most audiophile really don't understand much about acoustics and can't contribute?
  • The difference between those who understand acoustics and those that don't is substantial for people are fearful of wading into discussions?

Interested in people's thoughts. People will drop thousands on a cable, $10K on an amp, or turntable, but I don't see anywhere near that spend on acoustics in most cases.
heaudio123
Just speaking for myself, I am not sure how bad my room sounds now. I hear good tonal balance, sound stage, dynamics. Perhaps some room acoustics would really step it up to the next level, but I suppose the process of analysis which would reveal what is wrong with my room (that I cannot hear, now) is somewhat of a mystery to me. And I'm not sure what is missing.

In interior decorating, someone is hired to come to your home and point out things worth improving -- flow of a room, containing noise, too little light, etc. In energy audits, someone comes an identifies places where heat is lost or why a room is cold in winter, etc. Perhaps there’s a similar role for someone who could do an ’acoustic’ audit.
Maybe that is it ... the average audiophile just does not know what they are missing and don't understand that if you have not acoustically treated your room, what you are missing is likely substantial.
Its an instant gratification thing........All you have to do is spend as much money as you can afford on some snake oil item,  it gets delivered to your door in a box, you plug it in, and your done (it has to sound better).  

You need a lot of patience and effort optimizing room acoustics.   And even though the cost can be minimal in many cases a lot of people don't go through the effort.
People will drop thousands on a cable, $10K on an amp, or turntable, but I don't see anywhere near that spend on acoustics in most cases.

There's a lot of reasons, and you already listed many of them. But like so many other things you can get the lion's share of the results for next to nothing and then spend a fortune to eke out the last few percent. 

Acoustics in my listening room are so much better than the rest of the house everyone notices the minute they walk in the room. Yet the most obvious improvement is from some ordinary Owens Corning 703 acoustic panels that cost probably only about $100 altogether. The fabric covering them cost way more than the actual acoustic material! This was all done like the rest of the system by a process of trial and error over a period of time.  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 

I know from experience this simply does not have a great deal of appeal. The vast majority of guys would rather pay big money to some "professional" with "expertise" who will tell them what to do. The idea of walking around clapping your hands and listening, or even listening to music, moving panels, listening some more, these things are too much "work". Work is not cool. Spending money is cool. 

Also the most effective acoustic treatment in the room is hard to understand and almost invisible. Its the Synergistic Research HFT on the speakers and walls. Look close, they are only about 1/3" diameter. Bling factor near zero. Audiophiles like bling. These ain't it. 

Oh and audiophiles love narrative. Stories. Dither is not a very good story. 

My room could really benefit from some diffusion panels. Something that wasn't apparent years ago but now as the system improves its becoming more apparent. I know what to do. Know exactly what I want, and how to make it. 

Unfortunately it involves work. Which proves my point.  

OP,

Like the thread on subwoofer flatness, I challenge your post's premise.

Merely searching for "GIK" reveals that acoustics are an ongoing and lively discussion point here at Audiogon.

Best,

E