How to upgrade from Aragon 4004 mkII amp

Aragon 4004 mkII owners what amp did you upgrade to when you moved on? Did you regret selling the amp? How was your new amp better versus the 4004 mkII?

I am an original 4004 mkII owner and have an upgrade bug but don't want to spend money to just spend money.

Thanks - Jack
gooddomino
If your speaker is efficient (>= 90dB), go get Aleph amp ! The improvement is significant. If not ML 331 or Pass Labs X-x50 is a good one.
I started with a 2004 that was eventually upgraded to MKII. Then purchased a 4004 which I also upgraded to MKII. I sold the 4004 and purchased a 8008BB (old school) and love it. Works great with my B&W N805Sigs. Sold the 2004MKII recently.

Good luck,
Jack -

I think it mainly depends on system synergy... I like my Aragon but someday I want to get a McCormack (I think) - lotsa bang per buck.

What the McC seems to offer (in my system) over the Aragon is an ease and "natural" refinement along with the Aragon "Oomph!" that its famous for.

But meanwhile I am hanging on to mine until I upgrade my preamp (I think)...

Your best bet is to audition in your system if possible.

Good Luck!
- DeeCee
I had one for a while as well, and went to an Active Linn system (3x5105's w/5140's) and never looked back. The 4004 Mk II is a solid amp, but the linn stuff is so much smoother in the upper mids and highs. I lost all the graininess I heard with the Aragon when I upgraded, the bass changed slightly, somewhat less punch, but again, this area also became more natural with the Linn system.

FWIW my old 4004 is still in the family, it powers the woofers of my brothers ML Monoliths III's. It's up to you if you keep it or not, but I personally am very happy I did upgrade.
I owned the 4004 MkII and moved up to the Classe 300, then the Mark Levinson 335 and eventually to the 336. There was a definite improvement with each upgrade and I don't regret selling the Aragon at all. The other amps, especially the Levinson, allowed the speakers to really shine in every area of sound reproduction. The Aragon is an excellent amp but depending on your source components and speakers you should find an improvement with higher end amps.
I have an old school (Mondial) Aragon 8008 and wouldn't trade it for anything else. It feeds a pair of B&W CDM9-NT's and they absolutely sing.

Keep it!
Unless you have a few grand to spend for a small improvement I'd just keep the Aragon. That's a good amp. Heard one through some VMPS RM 40's and it worked excellently through these extremely revealing speakers. Upgrade your dac or try a tube preamp for a more significant improvement. The amp is very good.