How does the Technics SL 1200 compare with....

other belt drive tables with comparable price tags? Specifically, the Music Hall
MMF 5, and the Rega p3. For arguements sake, lets say these items are all going to be placed on a three inch thick block of oak with vibrapods, and also have comparable cartridges and preamps. I really want to make a foray into vinyl, but for the life of me I just can't decide on a player. Any help would be much appreciated.
jmoog08

Showing 2 responses by kublakhan

Here's the obvious answer but I rarely take my own advice: Buy two or three units used if you have the cash on hand, compare them together in the same room on the same system, and then sell what you don't like. If you've been coming to audiogon enough you should know w/in $50-$100 what you will be able to resell for and you could easily wind up even or perhaps making a bit of money.
Johnnyb53, I had the exact same thoughts. I spent $900 (shipped) for my limited ed. 1200 and have it now at KAB for another $900 in upgrades. There's a barely used scout listed today for less than that so it makes me think.

However...I owned an Aries 3 and without the SDS (which adds another $900) the speed was unstable and sounded like it so I figure the Scout must also need the SDS.

I also loved the idea of playing 78s and of starting and stopping on a dime with the 1200.

Who knows?