Merlin VSM compared to ATC 100ASL active

How would you rate the above speakers and how would these compare? The ATC are more into Professional audio would that disqualify them in a Hifi home audio setup?
larss
They are both excellent speakers. I don't think the comparison is fair though - rather different animals. Merlin is two way and ATC is three way. You would be better to compare the Merlin to an Active ATC SCM20 or passive SCM20 Tower.

The Active 100 will play extremely loud and dynamic - suitable for a large "North American" type space. ATC is ported in a way to increase efficiency rather than extend the bass (it has a 12" pro woofer). ATC 100 is rather an ugly beast while a slim Merlin VSM two way tower is real nice looking. For domestic use most people (and their wives)would probably be happier with Merlin VSM over an ATC 100. Musicians or those that crave "live" type sound levels and highly realistic percussion with little care for aesthetics may be happier with the 100's.

FWIW: Both designs have wide and even dispersion. Both have been produced for a great many years. Either will be a great choice for anyone serious about soudn quality.
LARSS, how did you come to decide between these two speakers? They seem to be quite different. For my taste, for small group jazz, acoustic music, voice - you get the idea - there very few speakers that can compare with the Merlins, especially in a typical, domestic room (i.e., 12x18 or so). Th ATC can cerstainly be used in a domestic environment, they too are great speakers, but very different than the Merlins.
larss, the vsm mmes or mxes are going to be the most dynamic and room filling of all the vsms. earlier ones tend to sound lighter and may require a sub to flesh out the sound in a big room.
br, b
The reason for having the ATC on my list is mainly that it is fully active and therefore does not have to bother about cables, amplifiers etc. Well, I have a pair of TSM today and really like these. Looking also for something to get real dynamics but the VSM may be another alternative but than again cables, amplifier.
Looking also for something to get real dynamics

ATC 100ASL will certainly be more dynamic than most other conventional box speakers - close to "real dynamics" but still not able to do justice to a jet engine. The only things that can play louder cleanly would be other large studio horns or a bigger ATC's or something similar like Hans Zimmer's 80K per speaker Quested's

Of course you could try Meyer horns like this and you'll definitely have close to a real jet engine but for better sound quality than Meyer sound reinforcement gear you might try Westlake's Studio speakers which can be setup in active mode too.

In any case, put on an uncompressed drum track or good recording and you will appreciate the real dynamics that only big speakers with pro woofers can produce (it can be jaw dropping - and it won't seem "loud" in the normal sense - these designs remain completely effortless sounding throughout their operating range).
Larrs,

This might be your lucky day if you have the space then this will sing like you would not believe...

George Augspurger is a legend.
Lars -- have you checked out those Augspurgers???
The compression drivers alone would set you back c. $6k!
Lars -- have you checked out those Augspurgers???
The compression drivers alone would set you back c. $6k!

No kidding I have been drooling all day...I got to get me a bigger house ;-)